IS HICKORY GOOD WOOD TO WORK WITH?

Page 2 of 2
Charlie Self wrote:

It's harder than many rocks!
Add my 2c here. The hickory I have in my garage is nothing like the local Pecan I have pulled from some houses around here.
--
Young Carpenter

Like the oak family, there are several species of hickory. Also many species of pecan. For some strange reason I remember that hickory can be polished-like buffed. It is very hard and is used sometimes in handles since it has good shock absorbing traits. It is hard and will eat up some bits but that 's what we like to do anyway, isn't it!
On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 00:40:42 -0400, "Young Carpenter"

"Lawrence A. Ramsey"

redistributes energy making it great for bats. Hickory is the opposite it is just plain energy resistant. Maybe I am wrong but that's what if feels like.

I have been working on a desk made entirely of hickory and have had no real problems. I had not worked with it before. It looks good and does have some "character" spots that you have to like or work around. It seems very stable. Sometimes the grain is nice and straight, and other times it gets a bit squirrelly. I would have to agree with others when they say it is a bit stringy.
While we are on the subject... Are there any suggestions for good ways to finish hickory? I saw the one about tung oil. I have very dark wood trim and furniture in my house. The desk I am making is for my own use and I'd like it to match the dark wood of the house. But I don't want to hide the natural beauty of the hickory. Any suggestions?
Brian