Is crack a common drug for ebay bidders?

Yabbut, remember, these were all coming from the base, military or CS types, not the general populace on a freeway. They also all had to come back tomorrow or next week, and if you screwed up & pi**ed someone off, they knew where you belonged, just *might* look you up!(LOL)

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

I don't see it as an option when listing items, but I'm not listing items on eBay any more. Kind of a circular thing, really. I thought it was odd that they did it for high-ticket stuff when I was googling around earlier today for: "15 minute rule" online auction

Dave

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Right, which is why nobody uses it.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

When I moved to Oregon in 1970 I5 was being repaired. I5 has been under continuous "repair" for 34 years now, and perhaps longer. Same thing with Portland Airport.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Lobby Dosser wrote in news:gzSkd.498$fc.362@trnddc09:

Yeah, we moved here in 1970, also. I feel your pain. I think Sunset, and

217 have been under construction for just as long, in one place or the other. Didn't they actually get the airport "complete" for about 6 months or so ;-0 ?

I used to maintain that it was illegal to know how to build a road here. There's been pretty much zero planning for most of the urban growth, and what planning there was (Metro) pretty much pissed everybody off anyway. (You can't get there from here, you have to go someplace else first).

But despite all that, don't think I'd want to live anyplace else. SWMBO and I are fortunate enough to have 5 acres of forest; I'll live with the hassle of getting around.

Regards,

JT

Reply to
John Thomas

People do a lot of stuff that doesn't benefit them the way they think it does. Sniping is only an issue because people fail to understand that e-bay is not a *live* auction, it is a *proxy* auction. The only truly effective way to use e-bay as a buyer is to decide on your maximum and bid that amount - early or late. I've played the live auction game on the Internet and it is pathetic and annoying, as is the 15 minute rule (or 5 min as it was on the site I was on). If all the people bidding understood what they were doing the seller would always get the absolute highest price anyone was willing to pay for that item and no buyer would ever pay more than they were willing to pay.

Just as a quasi-humorous aside, with a slight ww content - a year or so ago I was trying to buy a Senco SN-40 finish nailer via e-bay. The one that I finally got I had put in a bid that was a bit higher than I really wanted to pay, but my research on closed auctions showed that it was a good ballpark amount. After I "won" the auction I checked the bid list, since the price had climbed a lot after I had checked it with an hour or so to go. There were over 130 bids from the same guy posted inside of about 5 minutes at the end of the auction. I'm not sure if he was cut off by the end of the auction or if he just reached his maximum, but it was pretty funny - and still about $15 below my maximum.

Oh, and I love the nailer.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

I think it was 6 Weeks. But I don't fly much now, so it could have been longer. I know they are still messing with it because I was there last month. FWIW, most other airports seem to be in the same state.

What really gripes me about the roads is this habit of resurfacing, THEN doing the sewer or optic fiber about two months later. One of the streets bordering my property just got new sewer, new sidewalks and resurfaced. I can't wait to see what they'll come up with to dig it up again. :o)

You'd have to pry me outa here! And bring a real big pry bar.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

The "zipper" rule. Used extensively in the Pittsburgh area, although you do get the moron who tries to take advantage periodically.

Dave Hall

Reply to
David Hall

Then why are you whinging incessantly about it here on the wreck?

Reply to
Dave Balderstone
*snip*

Now, I have been a sniper for a long time on Ebay, and, the reason I do it is that I have come to the conclusion that there is a fairly large group of people who search for my user ID constantly, and, immediately bid anything I am going for well up over retail when they find it. It has happened JUST often enough to convince me of this fact. It is almost as if when folks see me bidding on something a little voice in their head says "This has GOT to be a great bargain, no matter WHAT it costs!!!! SO BUY IT!". So...now...I fire off a bid in the last 20 seconds or so for the max I am willing to pay for the item. As others have mentioned, if I get it, great. If not, I know that there will be another one coming down the pike pretty soon. As for the complaints about the seller not getting "enough" for the item...if this is a problem, just put a reserve on it and stick to it. Of course, that might well mean that the seller gets to post (and pay ebay) several times for the auctioned item. Regards Dave Mundt

Reply to
Dave Mundt

That's a big problem here in Indiianapolis, too. Every time they start a major highway project, it seems that it's designed for the amount of traffic the highway carries at the time the planning is done, with no assumption of any growth. This guarantees that when construction actually finishes, five years after the plans were made, the highway is inadequate for the (increased) traffic it then carries. The thing that really burns me is that they've been doing it that way for thirty years, and nobody in the highway department has figured it out yet.

Doug Miller

Tucson has a bipolar problem regarding road building. On the interstate, they are pro-active, expanding capacity in anticipation of future needs. While this sounds like a good thing, they haven't a clue how to go about it; during the construction to expand capacity for the future, they contract the capacity by 1/3 to way below the current requirements, I spent the last 3 years or more while they expanded the interstate from 3 lanes and a turn lane to 3 lanes and two turn lanes (I don't get it either) by contracting the capacity down to two lanes and an exit.

OTOH, the thought of putting in an east-west thoroughfare here is apparently a non-starter. Having seen the screams of anguish from the cactus huggers over the expansion of a piddly little 1 mile expansion of one road leads me to believe that Tucsonans will forever be condemned to spending 45 minutes and 20+ traffic lights going 10 miles from one side of town to the other.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

No doubt this is true. I've done it. If I see someone bidding on the same things I've been looking at I check to see if there is something else they are bidding on to see if there is something of interest that I don't know about.

For example suppose I'm bidding on a Norris infill plane and norm1234 is bidding on it too. I check his other bids and find out that he is bidding on this thing called a Steve Knight Coffin Smoother. Hmmm. I hadn't thought to search for that, but hey it looks like a good thing to bid on.

The only thing that is false is the "great bargain" part. Discretion is always necessary.

How do you check to see what items somebody is bidding on?

Doug Miller

My statement is that "I'd pay extra to have that option there", and then several people say I don't like it just because I don't understand. Clarifying that I don't like it because I _do_ understand it is hardly "whinging", Dave.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

A big reason for sniping services is because bidders often get a win at all costs mentality and bid more than they originally planned just to "win" the item.

If I put in a bid with a few seconds left, a bidder manually bidding will have a hard time putting in a higher bid in time.

If someone bids their max up front and it is higher than my max, then they get the item and that is fine.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

If the current bid price seems too good to be true, then it probably is.

Unless the item is very rare, you can search completed items to see how much similiar items sold for in the past. Of course, Ebay made this harder by limiting completed items to 2 weeks instead of the 30 days in the past.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

click "advanced search"
the left nav bar click "items by bidder"

-j

I'll be darned. Never knew that was there. Thanks!

Doug Miller

In a "real" auction, the auctioneer usually does not drop the hammer until he/she receives the last bid. As long as there are bidders, the bidding continues. Not so with Ebay; when the clock runs out, its ended. I think it would be greatly beneficial to the sellers if Ebay would allow the bidding continue after the end of the auction as long as bids continue to be received, i.e. end the auction when no more bids are received in a 15 second period. That allows the "Johnny come lately" to out bid the sniper if he so chooses.

Gary

Reply to
Gary