Is crack a common drug for ebay bidders?

Yabbut, remember, these were all coming from the base, military or CS types, not the general populace on a freeway. They also all had to come back tomorrow or next week, and if you screwed up & pi**ed someone off, they knew where you belonged, just *might* look you up!(LOL)
--
Nahmie

The "zipper" rule. Used extensively in the Pittsburgh area, although you do get the moron who tries to take advantage periodically.
Dave Hall

They do. A maximum bid is placed and the highest maximum bid wins. If the highest maximum bid was placed 10 seconds after the item was listed, it wins.

The reason for the last-second bid is only to prevent someone else from doing to you, exactly what you are doing to them. Do you at least agree with that statement?

"What you wish not done to you, do not to others. This is the whole of the Law. All the rest is commentary." -- Hillel

Yes. But that is the way the system works. You either work with it, or not. Your choice.
FWIW, I had a successful bid on an item last night. I placed my maximum bid two days prior - mine was the starting bid - and was only bid up $3.00 beyond the starting bid and still under my maximum. I always establish the maximum I'm willing to pay for an item, subtract the shipping cost - many sellers use shipping to jack the price - then use the result as my maximum bid. If the bidding goes beyond my maximum, I walk away. I started doing this after once getting into an emotional bidding session. If they changed the rules to the fifteen minute no bid extension you have suggested, I'd still bid the same way. If there was market demand for the fifteen minute extension, I'm sure we'd see it.
LD

(major snip)

We do, just not on eBay.

million auctions closing a day. I guess the fact that they don't have a 15 minute bidding extension doesn't upset too many people. I would further suggest that, with this quantity of business, eBay now defines the appropriate model for auctions.
Don't like it? Don't use it.
TWS

That conclusion is not supported by the evidence, which actually suggests that eBay now defines a *successful* model for on-line auctions. Not necessarily the same thing as "appropriate".
On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 19:46:03 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

'appropriate' when I should have said 'successful'. Actually I should have said "so f**king successful that any other auction pales in comparison".
Thank you for the correction.
And to answer the OP's question, it is quite clear by the evidence in this thread, that the answer to his original question is "yes".

Perhaps. But their success and/or failure is more related to them being there first, than them being better in every possible way. Microsoft is pretty popular too, after all.

I've said more than once, in this very thread even, that I'd pay extra to be given that option on eBay for things I'm selling, and I'd be more willing to bid on items with that option. Interestingly enough, eBay will do the 15-minute rule for big-ticket items such as the Honus Wagner baseball card auction of a while ago...

So you've asked eBay for the 15 minute option and they've said no to you?
On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 15:50:05 -0600, Dave Balderstone

I don't see it as an option when listing items, but I'm not listing items on eBay any more. Kind of a circular thing, really. I thought it was odd that they did it for high-ticket stuff when I was googling around earlier today for: "15 minute rule" online auction
Dave

Then why are you whinging incessantly about it here on the wreck?
On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 19:53:03 -0600, Dave Balderstone

My statement is that "I'd pay extra to have that option there", and then several people say I don't like it just because I don't understand. Clarifying that I don't like it because I _do_ understand it is hardly "whinging", Dave.

Every buyer's goal is to pay as little as they can. If the sniper pays more than your *maximum* then the seller got more than they would have without the sniper, so the sniper actually made the seller *more* money. Aside from the fact that it reduces the chances for people to get excited and stupid sniping has *no* substantive effect on the auction outcome.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com

Right, which is why nobody uses it.

People do a lot of stuff that doesn't benefit them the way they think it does. Sniping is only an issue because people fail to understand that e-bay is not a *live* auction, it is a *proxy* auction. The only truly effective way to use e-bay as a buyer is to decide on your maximum and bid that amount - early or late. I've played the live auction game on the Internet and it is pathetic and annoying, as is the 15 minute rule (or 5 min as it was on the site I was on). If all the people bidding understood what they were doing the seller would always get the absolute highest price anyone was willing to pay for that item and no buyer would ever pay more than they were willing to pay.
Just as a quasi-humorous aside, with a slight ww content - a year or so ago I was trying to buy a Senco SN-40 finish nailer via e-bay. The one that I finally got I had put in a bid that was a bit higher than I really wanted to pay, but my research on closed auctions showed that it was a good ballpark amount. After I "won" the auction I checked the bid list, since the price had climbed a lot after I had checked it with an hour or so to go. There were over 130 bids from the same guy posted inside of about 5 minutes at the end of the auction. I'm not sure if he was cut off by the end of the auction or if he just reached his maximum, but it was pretty funny - and still about $15 below my maximum.
Oh, and I love the nailer.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 10:26:19 -0800, Tim Douglass

The simplest and most productive thing to do is to go on to a snipe service site and register the max you are willing to bid plus how close to the end of the auction (usually in seconds) you wish to have your bid placed. If you end up with the item, fine. If you don't you don't. Unless you were betting on something that is extremely rare, the odds are that the same or similar item will pop up again, often within a week.

No, the simplest and most productive thing to do, is to use the proxy bid system as designed, rather than trying to weasel in at the last second to buy it for as little as you can.