Is crack a common drug for ebay bidders?

Page 4 of 7

OTOH, every auction that I have personally won was one that I sniped. Without exception. So when I sell stuff, I don't mind if it's sniped. -- Howard eBay id: celtic_fiddler Current listing: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item "83162354&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

Absolutely not true in a proxy auction like e-bay.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com

Dave's problem is that he's not comfortable with the system so he wants it to operate by his rules.

Actually, Gregp, no, I'd prefer that people operate by the system that is in place, rather than circumventing it.
You're probably one of those people who, when you see "left lane closed ahead", waits to the very last moment before going over, aren't you.

Gawd, don't you just hate those bozo's. I always hope they get all the way up to the 'crunch point' and nobody lets 'em in. But it seems there is always someone up near the head of the line that's over endowed with a sense of courtesy and neighborly love.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

I watched *two* of those guys, in quick succession, in a construction zone a few years ago. Guy in a pickup, pulling a boat trailer, is in the left lane, sees the "closed ahead" sign 300 yards down the road, slows down, flips on his turn signal, and starts looking for a place to move over. He's being a Good Citizen. But the Me-First Selfish Bastard (MFSB) in the Beemer behind him can't wait. Honking his horn, flashing his lights, pounding the steering wheel (really!), he passes on the shoulder, roars on down the road, and cuts in to the right lane maybe 50 yards before the pylons. Not _ten_seconds_ later, here comes MFSB #2, flying along in the left lane, passing everything in sight. A tractor-trailer driver, having observed MFSB #1, moves over a bit to partially block the left lane. MFSB #2 moves left, tractor-trailer moves farther left, eventually blocks the entire lane. MFSB #2 passes him _in_the_median_, fishtailing all over the place in the grass, fights his way back onto the road, passes everything he can before getting to the pylons, cuts over into the right lane _and_runs_into_another_car_.
By and by, traffic crawled along to where I could clearly see the two cars off on the shoulder. The guy that he hit ... was MFSB #1.
On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 13:15:49 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:
... snip

Ah, there is justice in the world. :-)
Yep, those folks are really irritating. For the family oriented newsgroup, how about MFSS&S? (Me First Selfish So&So)

There is something intensely satisfying about seeing poetic justice in action.
-- My opinionated book reviews on sales topics http://book-reviews.hostpci.com

You know it. I smiled all the way through the rest of the traffic jam, all two miles of it.

Sweet. I bet they had a _nice_ chat with each other.

way up

someone
and
lane,
his
Good
wheel
here
partially
left,
into
off
May I turn on my Rant Mode?
Oh Goody! Tell it again!
Didja ever see a lane closed traffic jam with two *big trucks* side by side just crawling along? You know what they're doing, right? Sadly enough, some states will stop & ticket them for it as "obstructing traffic". However, it's *intensely* satisfying if you're the one in the lane staying open, and you work right with the one who's got to move over, to let him slide his tailgate in about a foot from your grill, and watch the first MFSB behind him get stopped by the cones. It was my firm opinion even before I earned a living as an OTR driver, that almost ALL construction backups could be eliminated or at worst reduced to a minimum if all the MFSB's would pay attention & do like the "Good Citizen" by blending & merging as soon as they know which lane will be closed.
Sad to say, there are WWaaaayyyyyyy too many MFSB's in the world & on the highways for this to ever happen.
Pet peeve # 40x, they all want to go nose to tail like a pachyderm parade. Solution: back off & leave a little *buffer* zone, that way when the traffic in front starts their accordion act, you don't have to stop & start sixteen dozen times. You may just be able to slow down a little, then ease back into the throttle again and keep moving. Not a sure-fire solution, but it does help.
Rant Off.
--
Nahmie
"Norman D. Crow" wrote in message

traffic
sixteen
into
Won't work here in Houston because the #1 rule of freeway driving, noticeably invoked by the first big city easterner's who started showing up in the mid 60's, is that said "buffer zone" must be filled immediately from an adjacent, and momentarily slower, lane ... preferably at the last second, and by a vehicle too large to fit.
Prior to that, when driving in Houston you could actually leave a safe distance between you and the car in front of you and be reasonably sure that no damn fool would pull into it.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Houston has no monopoly on idiots. Same thing here in Oregon. No one knows how to freaking *merge*. Coupled with continuous highway construction, we avoid the freeways unless it's impossible to do so.
Regards, JT

When I moved to Oregon in 1970 I5 was being repaired. I5 has been under continuous "repair" for 34 years now, and perhaps longer. Same thing with Portland Airport.

Yeah, we moved here in 1970, also. I feel your pain. I think Sunset, and 217 have been under construction for just as long, in one place or the other. Didn't they actually get the airport "complete" for about 6 months or so ;-0 ?
I used to maintain that it was illegal to know how to build a road here. There's been pretty much zero planning for most of the urban growth, and what planning there was (Metro) pretty much pissed everybody off anyway. (You can't get there from here, you have to go someplace else first).
But despite all that, don't think I'd want to live anyplace else. SWMBO and I are fortunate enough to have 5 acres of forest; I'll live with the hassle of getting around.
Regards,
JT

I think it was 6 Weeks. But I don't fly much now, so it could have been longer. I know they are still messing with it because I was there last month. FWIW, most other airports seem to be in the same state.

What really gripes me about the roads is this habit of resurfacing, THEN doing the sewer or optic fiber about two months later. One of the streets bordering my property just got new sewer, new sidewalks and resurfaced. I can't wait to see what they'll come up with to dig it up again. :o)

You'd have to pry me outa here! And bring a real big pry bar.

That's a big problem here in Indiianapolis, too. Every time they start a major highway project, it seems that it's designed for the amount of traffic the highway carries at the time the planning is done, with no assumption of any growth. This guarantees that when construction actually finishes, five years after the plans were made, the highway is inadequate for the (increased) traffic it then carries. The thing that really burns me is that they've been doing it that way for thirty years, and nobody in the highway department has figured it out yet.
On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 12:52:31 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Tucson has a bipolar problem regarding road building. On the interstate, they are pro-active, expanding capacity in anticipation of future needs. While this sounds like a good thing, they haven't a clue how to go about it; during the construction to expand capacity for the future, they contract the capacity by 1/3 to way below the current requirements, I spent the last 3 years or more while they expanded the interstate from 3 lanes and a turn lane to 3 lanes and two turn lanes (I don't get it either) by contracting the capacity down to two lanes and an exit.
OTOH, the thought of putting in an east-west thoroughfare here is apparently a non-starter. Having seen the screams of anguish from the cactus huggers over the expansion of a piddly little 1 mile expansion of one road leads me to believe that Tucsonans will forever be condemned to spending 45 minutes and 20+ traffic lights going 10 miles from one side of town to the other.

parade.
does
up
from
second,
that
Agreed! I might not have made myself entirely clear . . . This works once you're *in* the single lane too, which is where I was really going. Once in a while, I wouldn't make it into *the city* during the middle of the night as planned, and would get caught in the morning rush hourS on I-80 in New Jersey. I would generally get in the middle or one of the 2 middle lanes, as we weren't allowed in the inside(left) lane, and didn't want to be in the right lane and put up with entering/exiting traffic. Used to laugh my A** off watching the lane hopping all over the place to try and gain one car length! Really laughed when they would lane hop & get stuck there as I went sliding on by.
Then of course there were always the morning truck races . . . truckers who stopped to sleep in eastern PA or western NJ, get up about 4-4:30, grab some coffee and join the mad dash to get into NYC just ahead of the auto rush hourS.
--
Nahmie

My BIL said that when he was stationed at Pax River, one summer there was a construction zone just outside the base that forced two lanes of traffic leaving the base to funnel down to one -- and everyone, without being instructed, with nobody directing traffic, simply took turns: left lane, right lane, left, right, left, right... and traffic flowed as smoothly as could be.