Is Chainsaw carving woodworking?

I have a friend who does chainsaw carving and was curios if it was woodworking or carving or art

snipped-for-privacy@wellmarktest.com

Reply to
Chris

Woodbutchering.

Reply to
Allan

If he's good it's an art.

The guy who dug down to the gas pipeline in our front yard with a bobcat and backhoe was very skilled. The machine was an extension of his fingers, his thought. I've never seen anyone better at compensating for all the bumping and lurching of that small, powerful vehicle. I told him he should consider himself a sculptor in alternate media -- dirt. ;-)

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Probably one of them... if he's any good.

;-)

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

yes...

Reply to
Bridger

All three- Of course woodowrking requires 'some' art-- carving a little more-- I'm sure there's some out there that think that there is some totaly artless woodworking out there. I would have to agree with that point. All of us have to express ourselves in our own way. Some folks just take a little more care in how they do it. Even the less talented among us have a right to be proud of something. I'll never forget the time (Think I was 9 or so) when I made a little corner shelf of Texas - backwards- with the panhandle on the right side. My mother didn't have the heart to tell me. My tactless brother made a point of telling me & I took the thing apart & made it right. To get back to the point-- It involves wood -- hence woodwork--- It involves carving so... carving. It takes some talent & skill and carving is an artform so... Yes, Chainsaw carving is all three.

Boy I 'probly' got suckered good here, but I've had a good time- So I have a question. If the sucker has a good time is he/she a sucker or suckee?

Reply to
Phil

Reply to
Preston Andreas

If there's a better-than-even chance you'll need a bandaid, it's woodworking!

Reply to
Eric Ryder

JPeGs, please, on ABPW.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

Well ya never know if'n ya don't ask. :p

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

His work is very good, he does a lot of animals, and name signs his last BIG carving was a 7ft tall bear from oak, it is huge and very well done, he has done some charity work for some town carnivals and fairs, he carves stuff and lets the town auction them off for charity or to help fund next years festivals, he get pretty good money for them too (side benefit) so from the answers I got it is all 3... thanks for the input...

snipped-for-privacy@wellmarktest.com

Reply to
Chris

Yes.

Reply to
Ratchet

Fri, Feb 20, 2004, 3:31pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@wellmarktest.com (Chris) says: His work is very good,

I consider a chainsaw a precision cutting instrument, much more precise than a jigsaw. Scroll down a bit to see one of 3 Tikis I chainsawed.

Everyone ought to chainsaw at least one item.

JOAT Georges Clemenceau supposedly said, "War is too important a matter to be left to the military". If this is so, it is then obvious that peace is too precious to be left to politicians.

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 28 Feb 2004. Some tunes I like.

J T

LOL. Mark that is great. Being a civil engineer, I have also seen my share of 'material' artist. Believe me, they are far more skiiled than I.

Jerry

Mark Jerde wrote:

Reply to
JAW

They can probably spell better (i.e. skiiled') also. AGGGGGH

JAW

JAW wrote:

Reply to
JAW