Is anyone else getting fed up with Norm?

Page 2 of 5
Hi Stuart, you can email me direct. Email is good Micky

Sort of replying to my own post here but it set me thinking.
Anyone round here got any plans for making a bowed Psaltry?
--
Stuart Winsor

So is mine believe it or not :-)
Stuart.
--
Stuart Winsor

Lee Michaels wrote:

Not to mention painting out the green on the power hand tools.
Dave N
On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 19:26:51 -0500, "David G. Nagel"
When did he do that and to what tool?
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

I like it when he says that he needed to smooth something. So he runs it through that enormous belt sander he has. Ya know, the one big enough to run a table top through it.
I mean, it would be an incredible luxury to just have the space that monster occupies, let alone the enormous sander.
"Lee Michaels" wrote:

Very straight forward, use the services of a local drum sander.
The guy I ue has a 48" wide, 75HP, 3-grit machine complete with a 20HP bag house dust collector.
You get a lot of sanding done for $25.(About 20 minutes)
I blank out all my tops with 7/8" stock then sand to 3.4" after glue-up.
Keeps life simple that way.
Lew
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net says...

When he made a blanket chest, he used a belt sander to flush the dovetail joints. I can't fault his results, but his method was an eyebrow raiser.
S.
Not to mention the wallet to pay the utility bill for all that high horsepower gear...
Lee Michaels wrote:

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 14:47:14 -0700, Vic Baron wrote:

That's why I watch the Woodwright's Shop :-).

That is like knowing and waiting for an accident to happen. ;~)
On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 22:32:16 -0500, Leon wrote:

Just because he baptizes all his projects in blood? I tend to do that too - especially since the "aspirin a day" routine started :-).

It's like Nascar for Woodworkers!
-MJ

So it's like wannabes buying Pontiacs and driving like idiots on the highway? Not sure I see the connection. ;~)
John

No it is like the 95% of NASCAR fans that watch a NASCAR race hoping for their favorite driver to win and just itching to see the inevitable crashes. You don't know exactly when but you do know you are going to see a NASCAR crash/Woodwright guy cut his finger.

I see...
The camera definitely distorts reality. Roy's hands look even more beat up in person than they do on the air... On air it is only the most obvious wounds and scars that are evident but in person the old scars are layered. In person his suspenders and clothes are faded and his hat is frayed but on the monitor the suspenders look bright red and his hat looks fine. The camera does not distort his wit though!
That said, maybe Norm doesn't really use all that many brads and the Timesaver isn't nearly as big as it appears on the monitor due to focal plane flattening by the camera?
John

They say that the camera adds 10 pounds, I bet the "Timesaver" looks 10 lbs bigger too. :~)

I get it . Norm uses tools just like we all have. NASCAR drivers drive stock cars just like we buy at the local Chevy dealer.

That's going too far the other way, I don't have time to do everything the hard way with crude tools. I like power where it can save some heavy labor and some hand where they can do the fine work. By the way, have you noticed his hands are covered with band-aids, bandages, blackened finger nails and other wounds from his tools.

No kidding, have you seen that cordless drill that he uses on his show every time? One day maybe I'll be able to get rid of this hand crank drill I have been using. ;~)
Different strokes for different folks. Personally I would want to graduate to the next level after a period of time.