Is A SawStop Table Saw Worth the Money

Oh sure, they can get you in the next room, around the corner too! Some have even been known to lie in wait and ambush you when you're least expecting it.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

I'll restate that you have to be blind to not be intimidated by a blade spinning at 100 mph whether you know it is not going to cut you or not.

Brian however started this all off with the statement,,

Lots of us though have been doing this for decades and still have all our fingers and toes, just because we know what we're doing.

WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP.

People that know what they are doing, make mistakes and get hurt.

Slowly Brian has changed his comments that align a bit more with more sensible comments.

Reply to
Leon

Those, in fact, are the most common kind... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

Yes, they are all preventable. The real problem is human error. Aside from you, the rest of us have made errors at times with varying consequences. I certainly try my best to avoid accidents with tools, but if it does happen, it would be nice to be able to have a method of making it less serious. We have a choice available. We have the freedom to decide if we want to buy that equipment.

Eye protection, hearing protection, its all a choice in a home shop.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Valid points.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Give it up Leon. It's obvious that he's trolling just to get some attention.

Reply to
Upscale

Indeed we do, at least since they laughed at the idea of requiring it on all saws.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

That's why people like Norm and David Marks still have their fingers and toes, right? Neither of them uses a SawStop, do they?

Yes, what a load of crap. Gotcha.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

Actually, the CPSC responded favorably, the position paper they wrote is available by googling their site, but the other saw manufacturers filed their own brief in opposition. It's still under consideration.

Reply to
Russ

Who exactly is "they" that laughed? You must be a drama student as ALL of your statements have lot'sa drama. How's that working out for you in real life? You really need not answer that question.

Reply to
Leon

You got squat.

Reply to
Leon

What is the price of a finger ??

Jr

Jerry - OHIO

It looks like somewhere around $2,500:

Nova

In a high school shop I can imagine the "bad boy" touching the edge of the blade, thereby triggering the Sawstop and using up a cartridge and a blade just to disrupt the class.

Reply to
J. Clarke

More likely he will "accidently" touch it with a piece of metal or wet wood. A couple of those a week and the entire shop program will again learn the use of a hand saw as the shop budgets won't buy many cartidges and blades.

Dave Hall

Reply to
Dave Hall

J. Clarke, wrote the following at or about 6/13/2007 1:54 PM:

Just need a bit of rewiring with a randomized timer AND a large sign which reads:

"USE EXTREME CAUTION! This SawStop saw is equipped with an intermittent safety device which has the safety feature fully enabled 90% of the time. Do you feel lucky?"

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Won't stop him. You don't have to touch the teeth to trigger the cartridge. Touch anywhere on the blade and it goes. And if he touches it and it _doesn't_ go then it's lawyer city. Understand, the objective is not to see if the stop works, it's to disrupt the class.

Reply to
J. Clarke

CAUTION: the parents of any student triggering the safety mechanism will be charged the cost of the replacement cartridge plus labor. This will be approximately $200.00.

Reply to
Vince Heuring

Those False Stops could be tough! I was told that replacing the module after a STOP runs about $65,00 and I'm sure there is shipping and tax added to that. BUT then I did see a live demo and sure looked like it would be hard to find that "smarter idiot" to defeat it. (from an idiot that filleted a finger tip himself) My .02 worth

Reply to
Digger

OSHA is one of the greatest BS components of the government today! AND the principle reasons for companies to outsource!! I was charged 3500.00 when my people were taking down a tower of scaffolding FROM a sissor lift and one stepped out on the scaffold to pick up a walk board. OSHA sent me a picture and the charge for "no hand rails". We had the best safety record in the industry according to my insurance co. Our country is destroying itself with political correctness and lack of personal responsibility.

Reply to
Digger