Is a radial saw more versitile than a table saw?

No doubt it can and I have no probem with that approch, I even suggested buying a used one but the sentence you responded to specifically spoke of new ones.
Bob said:

BTW do you use your RAS for ripping? Perhaps using an extra long accessory fence? If so how do you feel about that process/combination? I ask because I have not tried ripping with my currnet RAS and have never tried it with the long fence setup. Regards Bob
No doubt my choice is a table saw. But it also depends greatly on the type of work you do. I found that most people that are into furniture making will lean towards a table saw. I also have a sliding miter saw which for me replaces the need for RAS.
D.Martin

I have a 10" Powermatic cabinet saw and a 16" rockwell Radial arm saw.
I use my RAS to: crosscut wood Dado Miter make tenons cut steel cut brick cut concrete
I use my table saw to: Rip
I would not want to be without either but "I" would probabally give up my table saw first. Standard practice for me when cutting a piece of stock to length is to cut a 1/4" off the end to start out with a nice square cut and then measure and progressively cut the stock to the lengths I want. I could not imagine trying to cut a 1/4" off the end of 10" board with a table saw.
BTW: I paid $500 for my 16" 7.5 hp RAS and $750 for my 10" 3 hp powermatic cabinet saw.

Hi Takashi,
My idea of the perfect shop would include 40 feet along one wall with a radial arm saw in the center and 20 foot of bench on either side. I would use it for cross cutting and ripping solid stock. I had a radial arm saw for many years that had an auxiliary spindle for 1/4 inch router bits that ran at 20,000 RPM. I used it a lot. I would also put my CMS somewhere close to the radial arm saw. Space limitations have sent the radial arm saw on to another owner. :(
I use a cabinet saw and a CMS for most of my work. I do sheet goods on the back patio on saw horses with a circular saw then trim with the cabinet saw. There are many different ways to do most any project. You can't go wrong with a table saw and a router for getting started.
Dan

Sorta like the third pic here? I hear ya.
Glen
"Dan" wrote

It would help if I include the URL! http://home.netcom.com/~gkraig/project3.html
Glen