Is 3/4 hp enough to resaw on a band saw?

I have an opportunity to get a used American-made Delta band saw (14"), but it's only 3/4 hp.
I've never owned a band saw before, but would most likely use it to cut curves and to resaw.
Can any band-saw owners out there tell me if this one would be strong enough to git 'er dun?
Thanks in advance!
The more power you have, the faster you can cut, but 3/4 hp is enough. Other factors are what kind of wood, how dry, condition of your blade.
Steve

I have resawn 6" oak on my 1/3 HP 1960's vintage 12" Sears BS. I have to go painfully slow, but it works. I use a top-quality (Suffolk Timberwolf) 3 tpi 1/2" blade. I'd love to have 3/4 HP on my saw!
When I got the saw, it was in pretty sorry shape, and I put some work into fixing it up. Nothing I did to it made as much difference as buying serious blades.
Roy Smith wrote:

I've got a newer Craftsman BS (circa mid 1990's) and I burned out it's motor while resawing some birch boards. I belive it was a 3/4 hp. I wasn't watching the motor temp and it overheated and got the starting cap hot enought to melt something out of it and into the motor windings.
I upgraded to a 1.5 hp motor that I found at Fleet Farm for about $190 and now it saws like a dream. I can go through 6" White Oak about as fast as I want to push it into it. It's easily 3x faster to saw a given length of board.
I agree with Roy, use Timberwolf blades, they rock!
Jeff
My 14" Rockwell has a 1/2HP motor and 6" capacity and I resaw hard maple with it. No experience with larger motor so can't compare.
On 29 Jul 2005 10:03:36 -0700, wood snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

wood snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I have a 3/4 HP motor on my Grizzly G1019 band saw with the 6" riser kit. Although I's like a bigger motor with a sharp good blade I've resawn 11" red oak. It's slow but it can be done.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
wood snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I'd jump at the chance to get one. I'm biased, since I also have one, but I think the quality is superior. Mine is 13 years old, and going strong. I bought it used as well, and really didn't have to any "tuning".. other than the obvious adjustments when you change the blade.
To get to your resaw question. I don't do much resawing. When I have, my BS (also has 3/4 HP motor) is adequate. I do a little turning. If I was making blanks on the bandsaw for the lathe on a regular basis, I'd probably drop the big money and get one of those 18" or 20" bandsaws. But I don't do enough turning to justify it. Maybe after I retire, I'll be able to justify it. Of course, by the time I retire, I'll have to figure out how to haul the big bandsaw home in my George Jetson flying car.
I resurrected a really old Craftsman BS a number of years ago-(made by yates, I think) 16" with aluminum wheels that had to be re-welded & balanced. I use it almost exclusively for resawing. The tires wore out on it and I never replaced them-- I also use a 3 tpi blade, but I think it is a starrett. (had it welded up a few years back) It has a 1/3 hp motor. The saw has a really heavy cast iron flywheel underneath-( I suspect this was once a variable speed saw, as it has a tensioning handle on the side which raises & lowers the motor mount) - Once it starts going, it's hard to slow down. I use it for Oak, locust, maple, walnut & some other softer woods. To answer your question --3/4 is most likely powerful enough for your needs. If not -- as in you have to go r e a l l y slow( & without the addition af a flywheel) larger used motors are available. I recently found a 3/4 hp for my resurrected jointer in Sherman, TX for around 50 bucks. Look in the yellow pages under motors- used.
yes