Is 1/2" ply sturdy enough for decorative screen?

I'm interested in making a three panel, free standing decorative screen with each panel being approx. 18" x 72" connected with specialty double action hinges that I purchased from Lee Valley. I'm thinking about using hardwood ply with strips of solid wood around the edges. I'm concerned about the weight of being able to easily move the screen if I use 3/4" ply, but on the other hand I'm concerned that if I use 1/2" that it will be too flimsy. I've thought about using 3/4" stock for a frame on each panel with a 1/4" ply panel floating in the frame but I'd prefer a solid looking panel. What do you all think, can I get away with 1/2"?
Dale
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Dale) writes:

[...]
I would not go so thick. Consider that a japanese Shoji has only paper (with some supporting struts).
On 9 Nov 2003 20:25:34 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Dale) wrote:

All depends what you're going to do with it, and what the "style" looks like. 1/2" certainly sounds reasonable for an 18" wide panel, but 3/8" or 5/8" might not be out of line for some uses.
I'd think about the framing idea. Unless these panels are basically a canvas for painting, then I think a frame (solid timber, rather than ply) would look a lot better.
Birch ply has a much better strength / weight ratio, and you probably notice weight here more then thickness.
On 9 Nov 2003 20:25:34 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Dale) wrote:

I don't see why not.
But I'd go with the 1/4". I think 1/2" is overkill...for the 18" span.
Use the 3/4" framing...and route a 1/4" channel in it and use the 1/4" ply.
Good luck.
Have a nice week...
Trent
On 9 Nov 2003 20:25:34 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Dale) wrote:

You want solid and light weight. 1/8inch skins both sides over a frame will give you both.