Irritating rattle in Jet JTAS Cabinet saw

I have a rattle in my cabinet saw that I can't track down. It is definitely within the cabinet and it "rings" like a sheet metal (not cast iron) part that needs to be tightened. With the saw running without a blade I tried to carefully touch each possible part to see if I could identify the loose part by dampening the vibration. No luck there. Is it possible that there is a loose part within the motor assembly? (it's not the capacitor covers, that was easy to check). Any other idea on what it could be or a mothod of diagnosis?

Related question: Mu drive belts seem to have a bit of vibration in them. Is there a rule of thumb for setting belt tension?

Reply to
C & S

using a piece of garden hose as a makeshift stethoscope, and I was able to move the end of the hose around until I found the source of my agravating noise (it was a dry bearing).

This method might work for you. Hold one end of a 3 foot long piece of hose (size not really important) up to your ear (the good ear) and move the other end of the hose around near all of the possible sources of the sound. When it gets louder through the hose you have found the source.

Charley

Reply to
Charley

Just make sure the hose doesn't get caught around a drive shaft or snagged by a drive belt. :)

Reply to
Upscale

Reply to
Doug S

..... I found the source of my agravating

I tired the hose method. It was inconslusive, but I *think* it may be the arbor bearing.

What does a bad bearing sound like/how could I know for sure?

The saw is 6.5 years old. That seems like a premature failure for a hobbyist saw.

There are two distinct sounds... one is rattle the other is ringing caused by some sort of sympathetic vibration.

I am NOT looking forward to tearing my saw apart. i certainly don't want to do that unless I am sure that it's necessary.

-steve

Reply to
C & S

When I had a bad bearing, it was a 100 decibel high pitched whining noise. A shot of lubricant in the beginning would get rid of it for about a minute or so, but after awhile, the lubricant was useless. I wouldn't classify what I experienced as a "whistling noise", it was much louder and much more irritating than that. You may well be experiencing the beginning of a bad bearing, but I'd be looking at other things first if it's just "whistling" that you're experiencing. It might well be air flow in a certain area causing your problem. Clean out at much sawdust as you can, lube all mechanical parts and try again.

Reply to
Upscale