Iron stains on mahogany?

    --I'm taking a whack at box making; last night I left something gluing up with a square in place to make sure it cured to an accurate angle. But I'd sponged the joint first, so some moisture got trapped under the foot of the square and by morning there was a nice black stain there. Sooo aside from sanding the crap out of it is there a way to remove the stain?
--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Before the last "election"
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : a fifty was a twenty...

Iron stains come out with oxalic acid (sold as wood bleach or wood cleaner); it is slow to act, and needs to be kept damp, so I usually wad a bit of paper towel up and saturate it with oxalic/water solution. Leave on the spot overnight, then rinse and give it a day or two to dry.

muriatic (swimming pool) acid works also.
Don't breath the Oxalic acid sanding dust after drying.

Probably not, but you could start with oxalic acid. Barkeeper's Friend is a good source, or even a Stain Devil for cloth (you want the bloodstains version, sometimes the inkstains version works too)

make yourself a set of assembly squares from plywood. drill large holes in them to accommodate a clamp or 2. wrap the edges in clear packing tape.