Ipe vs. Tigerdeck (goncalo alves) for decking material?

Greetings all!
My wife and I are about to put some decks on our house, and after much research, we had pretty much enthusiastically decided to use ipe for the deck boards. However, our builder just told us about something called Tigerdeck (also known as goncalo alves) which appears to be very similar to ipe, and yet our builder can get Tigerdeck for about 20% less than ipe.
Now we are wondering how Tigerdeck compares with Ipe -- any pros or cons we should know about? Are they really just about the same product? Does anyone in this newsgroup have any experience with Tigerdeck that they would care to share? Does anyone in this newsgroup have any experience with the use of this material as deck boards?
Thanks!
Chuck
Chuck asks:

I'm a little surprised that goncalo alves can be found at lower prices than ipe. It's considered a fairly expensive material. Major differences: GC is more highly figured; Slightly less durable: Modestly easier to work (but still hard).
Make sure you get only heartwood for best durability.
Charlie Self "The test and the use of man's education is that he finds pleasure in the exercise of his mind." Jacques Barzun
Charlie, I'm even MORE surprised that it is even thought of as decking material !!
I've got some '1x4' pieces 'laid away' that I picked up many years ago . . . I've only heard of it for good quality handgun 'stocks' . As in S&W Mod 29, Mod 25-5, etc.
Regards, Ron Magen Backyard Boatshop

decks on our house, . . . our builder just told us about something

figured;
+ + + There is a fair chance it is one of the other Astronium species. Two species of Astronium have figured wood (goncalo alves), but many others have unfigured wood (ususally). The latter are sold under a variety of names, and occasonally as goncalo alves. The unfigured wood is a lot less rare, and should be fairly good for decking.
I had never heard of Tigerdeck, but a few minutes with Google prove that the above is right: http://www.tigerdeck.com/index.php PvR
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Dolchas) wrote in message

I'm surprised you can find goncalo alves for less than ipe. I recently paid a fair amount for a few boards of nicely colored goncalo alves that I'm using for a small project. Quite a bit more than ipe. Goncalo alves is a beautiful wood, and I found it machined very nicely (seemed significantly softer than ipe) ... a little tricky to glue up (used acetone and gorilla glue per comments on the wreck by Steve Knight and others).
I no not know about "goncalo alves" out door properties. But, Ipe has a 50 year life expectancy outdoors and bugs do not like the stuff. Also Ipe is very easy on you body parts as it does not splinter once sanded smooth.
Have you considered some of the man-made materials? Cheaper. Much easier to work hence cheaper to install. Very durable. No finishing and re finishing. Does not contribute to tropical deforestation.
mike