ipe + messmers deck

I built a ipe deck and rolled on messmers UV for hardwoods. It's about

2 weeks later now, and it LOOKS great, but it seems to scratch VERY easily. If I drag a 5 lb deck chair across it, it appears to be scraping the messmers finish off. Do I need to apply something else over Messmers? Or does it take longer than a couple weeks to dry? Im upset my brand new perfect deck is starting to look like crap, I have to go do all this touchup work now.. Any comments/suggestions?

Thanks,

Reply to
mfreak1171

I'm not familiar with Messmers, but have used other similar stains. It soaks into the surface a bit to protect the wood from water and UV. It is still possible to scratch through it dragging a chair. Maybe you need better glides on the chairs too.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

There is a good chance the Ipe is harder than the finish that he applied.

Reply to
Leon

Ipe is a very oily wood that does not take finishes well.The wood is also know as ironwood(very hard)and repels water very well.You may have just scratched your finish.Just put some rubber feet on your chairs and hope for the best until the finish wares out(the Ipe should last for the rest of your lifetime depending on were you live)

Reply to
leonard