Ipe decking questions

Where I come from, square feet and feet squared mean two different things.

500' X 500' is 500 feet squared, 25' X 20' is 500 square feet. 10^2 is 100, not the sum of 2 X 5, but I may be more of a math nerd than a contractor, so perhaps ft^2 does equate to sqft 'round here.
Reply to
Rumpy

Well, square feet a prebably better to walk with than crooked ones, but ft^2 and sqft *are* synonyms.

yes

25' X 20' is 500 square feet. 10^2 is 100,

yes.

But:

500 ft^2 is not the same as (500 ft)^2, as the exponentiation binds stronger then the multiplication, as in 3*10^2=300 and *not* 900...

... but confusing operator precedence rules.

Reply to
Juergen Hannappel

Nit pick: There is no such thing as "500 feet squared" it is "500 feet square". Without the trailing 'd'.

If you _were_ a real math nerd, you'd know how wrong you are.

ft^2 is _universally_ understood in scientific and engineering circles to mean 'square feet'.

When doing math involving terms with 'units' attached, the convention is that you group the 'pure arithmetic' quantities first, and the consolidate the 'units separately. and perform the indicated operations on each part. thus "500 ft X 500 ft" is "500*500 ft*ft", or 250000 ft^2 (and read as "2500 square feet.") an exponent in the 'units' does *NOT* apply to the 'arithmetic quantity' part of the expression.

This holds whether you are doing 'simple' things like distance/time = velocity, or messy stuff which could involve terms with units like "newton meters/sec^2"

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

While Ipe is about 3 times harder than Oak I think you may want to use better blades and bits. LOL. I literally have cut up, planed, milled 3/8" through slots, and beveled probably thousands of pieces of Ipe over and over in a production setting in the past 4 years and have only had my WWII resharpened 1 time and have only replaced 1 router bit. I actually got better mileage using a 3/8" HSS end mill bit over a 3/8" carbide router bit.

Reply to
Leon

Since you are going to a LOT more expense, I would consider an "under the deck" method of fastening instead of a god awful number of screw holes that will need to be plugged.

(1) IPE is VERY hard and will wreck most HSS edges. On a large deck, think several drill bits and countersinks.

(2) Look at "Deck Master" products that will allow you to fasten most/all boards from below. This will be a spec slower but the results are 200% better in the end.

Here are two different products with similar results.

Take a peek:

?subcat=20.4.1or
don't forget those folks at

I would never fasten from above unless I had to.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

Well, I stand corrected, but I am a bit curios now. If it written as (500ft)^2 would it then be what I was mistakenly thinking? Either way, thanks for setting me straight on this point.

Reply to
Rumpy

yes.

-j

yes^2 *snicker*

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

I agree HSS will cut faster and last a long time. Knight-Toolworks

handmade wooden planes

Reply to
Steve knight

HUH? I use it and other tropicals every day and get two months out of a bi metal bandsaw blade 4 or months between blade sharpenings. 4 months or so on planer knives. myself if I am machining wood I rather work with tropicals then american woods. Knight-Toolworks

handmade wooden planes

Reply to
Steve knight