Ipe Decking - Are these clips ok?

Hi,
I'm having an Ipe deck installed on the 24/7 and I want to use a hidden clip system. I have looked at the EbTy but here in the UK they are 120 ($200) for a box of 100.
I have found another type of clip distributed here (http://www.deckingclipenterprises.com/clips.htm )
but wondered if this would work with Ipe. They say it's suitable for all hardwood but I have heard Ipe is too dense for this type of system.
Any advice would be great :)
Cheers
Russ
Hi,
I'm having an Ipe deck installed on the 24/7 and I want to use a hidden clip system. I have looked at the EbTy but here in the UK they are 120 ($200) for a box of 100.
I have found another type of clip distributed here (http://www.deckingclipenterprises.com/clips.htm )
but wondered if this would work with Ipe. They say it's suitable for all hardwood but I have heard Ipe is too dense for this type of system.
Any advice would be great :)
My advice, reread the site information about the product. I could not find the claim that they say it's suitable for all hardwood as you stated. I did see that it is suitable for hard woods and soft woods. That is not the same as all hard woods. If you reread you will find that they indicate that it functions well with woods such as bangkirai or OAK. I suspect that these two woods are similar and probably at about the limit of hardness that will work properly. Ipe is about 3 times harder than oak. To be sure, give them a call and indicate to the that Ipe is 3 time harder than Oak, I am guessing they will want you to predrill or not use the clip at all.
Leon wrote:

Even if the clip will force its way into the wood, Ipe needs to be predrilled to avoid splitting.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Great.
russ wrote:

I wonder if this would work with Trex or similar plastic boards. They are pretty flexible and would probably sag between the clips making the 'boards' look as though they cupped.