IPE Butcher Block Table

Page 2 of 2

well it is a pretty new wood for that. but you don't usually see many tropicals for them in the us.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Regarding a butcher's block made from Ipe Dave wrote:

I've worked with many different exotic hardwoods and I'm not bothered by many of those which cause common allergic reactions. Ipe is an exception. If I breath Ipe sawdust I feel like I've contacted pneumonia. This reaction lasts for about two weeks. Since I've figured out the cause I now wear a respirator that is certified VOC compliant when working with Ipe.
Personally, I'd think twice before using IPE for a butcher's block.

This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for, and actually halfway expected based on the "unique" smell Ipe sawdust has. Too bad for me... I have a cheap source and it seems to have all the other characteristics necessary. I had a similar experience making pistol grips from rosewood, and just don't mess with rosewood any more.

I think I'll take that advice.
++ Dave