Interesting videos

Several years back Bridge City Tools manufactured and sold a Kerf Maker, a dandy tool for cutting dado's and grooves perfect in width with undersized blades and router bits. I own one and it worked extremely well for cutting 3/64" deep half lap joints 1/2" wide with a 3/8" wide dado set.

This guy builds one and may have had too much coffee before he began filing and sanding.

In this video he builds a dandy folding step stool.

Ok, lets add this too.... A small walnut stool with very interesting joinery.

And I really like how he made a stationary work bench, mobile.

Leon

The end product is nice. But those fingers so close to fast moving sharpened steel uncomfortable to watch. Maybe it's the fast-motion of the videos but there seemed to be too many times when his fingers were in a position where if something went wrong it might be bad.

Reply to
Electric Comet

I think it's the fast-motion. I don't see anything in the video that looks too dangerous.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Interesting, but I would have preferred to see the final product before he began. Unlike you, I wasn't sure how this was going to work.

That reminds me of the way wooden puzzles fit together. I bought _Puzzle Craft_ by Stewart T. Coffin years ago (from him in person), but I don't have the skills yet to actually make a good one. I'll say this: watching these youtube videos of how other people solve these problems is helping me learn.

Elijah

------ generally pretty good at assembling 3-D puzzles

Reply to
Eli the Bearded

That is true, there are some unsafe moves, we all make them. It was his skill level and the quality of the project that I was more interested in, and the speed at which he handles that sand paper. ;~)

He seems young, somewhat naive, and hopefully he will have a close call and reevaluates his methods before the inevitable happens.

Reply to
Leon

2 Comments...OK, 3

1 - I was surprised to see how much band saw blade he has exposed.

2 - All that melting snow...all that mess/moisture in his shop.

3 - Phenomenal work.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Yup! and a lot of flex in that blade.

I could be wrong but in a cold shop that water may just drain to the front and out of the garage. If not warm the humidity would probably stay pretty low.

Not bad at all, I'd like to see where he is at in 10 years.

Reply to
Leon

At 0:32 and a close up at 0:37, I would certainly be using a push stick. I keep one on top of the fence so I can grab it when I find myself getting anywhere close. I don't believe in reaching so my parts on the opposite side of the sharp thing.

Reply to
krw

Is *that* what that was. ;-)

Yep. Nice work. Nice engineering. Impressive.

Reply to
krw

I like it, too. I have an 8' bench that could use some better mobilization. I might try to rework/rebuild the base, somehow, with what he's demonstrated.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

That guy is good. Fast too! I'm not sure why he's got the vehicles in there?

Reply to
Bill

I didn't see anything that worried me. I thought he operated pretty safely.

Reply to
woodchucker

It's well done but not what I'd want.

I think I may put some casters on mine that engage via a quick adjustment ring and disengage with same. With the ring large enough to get good leverage but not so big to get in the way.

I haven't seen anything off the shelf. But I'm still looking around.

Reply to
Electric Comet

Here are a couple more ideas, the first involves needing storage for the wheels unless you simply permanently attached them at the top with hinges.

Or really simple but involves a bit of lifting.

Same principal but a bet more refined.

Leon

I use this on my table saw:

2

I think I would prefer something with multiple casters that rotate vs. the

2 fixed and 1 rotating that this base uses. My shop is really small and whi le pulling the saw straight out from the wall and pushing it back in is fin e, angling it is a bear since I basically have to drag the back wheels side ways.
Reply to
DerbyDad03

I have this under my 700# Sawstop saw. If moves as you like, all casters swivel. Pricey and made by Sawstop. It is the industrial mobile base. It has a hydraulic lift pedal that you pump 4~5 times and the beast floats across the floor. My garage floor is slightly slanted towards the drive way and if I am not careful the saw will roll out of the garage on its own. Tap a lever and the saw floats down to the floor. It is seriously the Cadillac of mobile bases.

My previous Jet cabinet saw was much lighter but was on a tripod style,

2 wheels fixed and one swiveled. I thought it was great but ir required some maneuvering to get it into a specific place. The Sawstop Industrial mobile base works so well that I have never longed for the old stile base.

$300 and for me worth every penny.

Reply to
Leon

=1-2

the 2 fixed and 1 rotating that this base uses. My shop is really small and while pulling the saw straight out from the wall and pushing it back in is fine, angling it is a bear since I basically have to drag the back wheels sideways.

Based on the size of my shop the $/ft cost would be significantly higher fo r me than for you. I wouldn't near the mileage out of my base that you get. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

my saw's that way too but I keep the saw in the middle of the shop now. So far that works.

Reply to
Electric Comet

Mine's the tripod style. But I decided I don't really need to move it much. But if so it's definitely more work than full swivel.

Reply to
Electric Comet

all I saw was a beautiful chevy and I wanted to see more of the GTO. was there a workbench in there

This one's the best. occam's razor applied correctly will provide good "inspiration"

Ok, but seemed to suffer complexification.

Reply to
Electric Comet