Interesting video on wood movement.

Page 2 of 2
Good example. I used to calculate the 'increase of diameter' of a band placed around the world. It was set up to put a tight belt and then add a 12" extension of the band. Question - how high would the belt rise over the earth... ?
Lesson - just leave a little room for wood expansion.
Martin
On 4/5/2014 3:45 PM, woodchucker wrote:

I recall that question. I never could really believe the answer that came with it. For perspective on the answer that I heard I compared the result of adding 12" to a man's belt. Oddly the earth answer was greater than the mans belt example. I highly suspect that the earth answer that I heard was missing some digits to the right of the decimal point. Basically you are adding 1/12,672,000 to the diameter in the earth example.
On 4/9/2014 3:07 AM, Leon wrote:

Hummmmmmm Seems to be just shy of 4" added to the radius.
On 4/9/2014 8:22 AM, Leon wrote:

Make that diameter.
THe calculated the difference by using only symbols. Never used real numbers until the end.
Martin
On 4/9/2014 3:07 AM, Leon wrote:

About 2". Diameter and circumference are linearly related. You add 1 to diameter, you add pi to circumference. You add 12 to circumference, you add 12/pi to diameter. That's about 4", 2" on each side of the planet.
I've heard the claim that it is some huge difference, but never seen anyone show their work.

--
Drew Lawson What would Brian Boitano do?

Unless it's the mil rate of your house. It can add up to some real cash.

It would be a step up from the last half-decade.