Interesting Question

Page 2 of 2

Odds are on the experienced "master carpenter" with some possible exceptions due to an inexplicable quantity known as raw talent.

Equal talent, the experience will compensate for the tools and probably do the better job. But, a hack with 20 years of experience is still a hack. The flip side is the occasional person who is just naturally gifted. I have seen this is different areas of life and there are some people that seem to best all but the grand-masters about two minutes after they take something up. I've seen this in siwmmers, programmers, and musicians so presumably there are some woodworkers who would do fantastic work with only a couple years experience.
Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.
Bob Becker wrote...

The true master would first ensure his tools were adequate for the task. Then he would leave the amateur in the dust. This, of course, assumes a contest worthy of a master carpenter.
Jim