Interesting Project Idea

I ran into a couple guys building "Little Free Libraries". Then a local newspaper wrote an article about them. I followed up on the net and saw some very interesting little structures. Basically it is a big oversized birdhouse that houses a free lending library. People put them in their front yard and they are turning out to be quite popular. There is lots of stories about them on the net.

The guys who started it all are at This site gives the history and provides lots of info.

Some pictures of the little free libraries are at

They also sell some of these boxes as well. Kinda spendy. On a square foot basis, they are much more expensive than Swingman's chicken coops! I wonder how much Karl would charge for a custom, luxury little free library? LOL You can mount them like a mailbox. One of the guys I talked to was trying to get some boy scouts interested. They were building them for free. Materials came from scraps or were given to them for this project.

Now, I know that many HOA's have strict anti literacy regulations and would not allow them. But it is an interesting idea and would make a good project for somebody who wants to tackle something a little harder than a bread board. Any way I thought it was an interesting idea. If anybody does do something like this, please photograph it and share it with us. This allows anybody, regardless of shop or skill level, to become a "home builder". Or at least a little library builder. :)

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Neat idea. Thanks for sharing.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

"Sonny" wrote

What is interesting to me was that the original guy who did this built one to honor his mother. It was his living memorial to his mother who loved reading and books. He only intended to build one. But it was so successful, that many other people wanted him to build them one. From there it snowballed. And with the internet, you can quickly spread your message.

It is not only a good idea, but allows tremendous creativity and recycling for all the home builders of these things. You can clean out your scrap box and make something that will be appreciated by others. I bet we all know someone who would like one of these boxes.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

A few years/decades ago there was a similar movement to share books. The idea was to leave a book you've read and/or no longer needed in a conspicuous place for a stranger to find. The place could be a bus stop, a freezer counter at the market, a seat at then unemployment office,a subway or BART turnstyle; anywhere.

I think I saw such a book placed, once.

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

On Thu, 12 Jul 2012 13:52:34 -0700, Zz Yzx

The only problems doing that is you wonder if someone had just forgotten it there and/or it might build into a disorganization of books left in many places. The "little free library" keeps the books organized in one specific and tells someone right away that those books are free to use.

Much better concept. Besides, they look good.

Reply to
Dave

Agreed, they look good, and could make a nice addition to someone's landscaping. Unfortunately, they could also serve as a good place to transfer drugs and other such things not quite as noble as books.

Reply to
Matt

You're thinking of Book Crossing:

've seen such a book once, and have been meaning to get signed up and release a bunch of books.

William

Reply to
willadams

Maybe interesting to some, but not to me. Others can NOT speak for me; only I can speak for me.

Reply to
Twayne

On your mom's computer?

Reply to
Bill

LOL Attaboy, Bill! Sic 'em. :)

Reply to
Swingman

And I thought I had Twit filtered. I guess he changed his name slightly so that those that plonked him will see him again.

Reply to
Leon