Interesting observation

This past weekend, I sealed my driveway. Anyone who's done this knows that the sealer comes in 5 gallon buckets that need to be stirred. I stir them with a drill and a heavy wire beater.

This go around I decided to use my cordless drills to do the stirring. I know that this is not standard duty for these things, but figured I'd see what each would do. I have a 14.4v DeWalt, a 9.6v Makita,. and a 12v DeWalt right angle drill. The 14.4 and 9.6v drills are approximately the same age, the 12v unit is quite new. All batteries were fresh off their respective chargers.

First up was my trusty 14.4v DeWalt, which is usually my favorite overall, based on the feel of the drill, the location of the reversing switch, and the clutch operation. I went through TWO fully charged XR packs and still had not completely stirred one container of sealer. Next up was the 12v right angle, which didn't do all that much better. Keep in mind that both of these drills were $150+ kits, including two batteries and a charger.

The Makita, which was $79, including two batteries and a charger, stirred TWO containers of sealer on EACH battery!

I'll admit that this was not a scientific test, and only one of each model was used. However, based on the prices of the tools, I am totally blown away by the results of using them in a high-stress operation.

Of course, your mileage will vary...

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

I would guess, and it is my personal experience, that Makita builds better batteries than most tool manufacturers, and your experience may actually be more a function of that than the cost/brand of the tools themselves.

I would also be willing to bet that my reconditioned DeWalt 18v batteries (primecell.com) would give my old Makita batteries a run for the money, but the way they came from the DeWalt factory, they sucked.

That said, the best cordless drill I've ever owned was a Makita ... about 18 years ago. Can't tell you how many times it was dropped off a ladder, with the drill flying one way and the battery another, to be united and just keep on truckin'.

Reply to
Swingman

2-speed gear case? Low speed?

As Swingman said...its probably the quality of the batteries.

Wanna sell that one? lol

Just curious...were they all 3/8?

We should start a database for the folks...best for driveway sealers...best for paint (my Ryobi)...best for milk shakes... lol

I used to stir ThoroSeal tubs with a 1/2" and about a 4 ft. paddle. Never ran out of electricity! :)

Have a nice week...

Trent©

Dyslexics of the world ... UNTIE !

Reply to
Trent©

Thanks for the link, Swingman. I might have them rebuild my Ryobi 9.6.

Its really tough makin' the decision...rebuild the battery...or replace the drill.

I really like the drill...I've had it for over 5 years now. I use it mainly for screws...it only has a single speed gear box. Its lightweight...and it has a nice balance.

I can get an 18 volt...new...2 batteries and charger...2 year warranty...with a set of drill bits included...for $22...from a reputable local store.

I know I should dump the Ryobi. I can't even get the battery any more...unless I special order it. And, as was mentioned on the primecell site...any battery I buy might have been sitting on the shelf for quite a while.

Maybe not logical, but I might spend the money on the battery rebuild.

Have a nice week...

Trent©

Dyslexics of the world ... UNTIE !

Reply to
Trent©

You're most welcome ... hope you find primecell.com as worthy of praise as I have thus far.

Had both my DeWalt 18v's rebuilt by them for about the price of one new one about a year ago. The old batteries would hold a charge for only a few hours after they were less than a year old.

Today I changed to the re-built "spare" for the first time in about three weeks of moderate use, and probably didn't need to do that for what I was doing. Very noticeable, almost astounding, difference in both strength and time between charges after the rebuild, but then DeWalt's batteries are pretty crappy to start out with.

I believe you'll be surprised at what these guys can do by rebuilding one ... especially if you like the tool.

Reply to
Swingman

All three drills were run on high speed of the 2 speed gearset.

I agree. The main theme is that DeWalt could do better for the money. I LOVE the DeWalt drill's feel. At twice the price of the Makita, the least they could do is keep up.

Yes.

Last time I sealed, I used my 20 year old 3/8" Craftsman VSR corded drill. I thought it would be fun this time to see how the tailless tools held up.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Just a question regarding the reconditioned batteries. Is there a weight difference? I would think that if they are that much bettter they must have added more "stuff" into them making them heavier. If that is the case, what does that do to the balance of the tool?

Thanks,

Wayne

Reply to
NoOne N Particular

Certainly not noticeable if there is.

Reply to
Swingman

Kool. I'll keep that in mind when my Sears 19.2v start to give out.

Thanks,

Wayne

Reply to
NoOne N Particular

I've had a 9.6v Makita drill for 13 years and it's still going strong on the original battery. These drills last forever and hold a charge better than any other brand I've used. I like it so much I bought a 2nd one last year for using in the house. In theory, the new ones with NiMH batteries should even last longer than my old one with NiCads.

Lance

Reply to
Lance Spaulding