Installing Storm Door with incomplete Brick Molding

I am attempting to install a emco fullview storm door an a front door. The door is constructed different from the installation instruction. I will need better instruction than install a shim, as it makes little sense in this case.
The door has 2 side light panels. The top of the door has a traditional brick molding through the length of the door and the light panels.
The side molding between the door and the light panl is a single bar. It extends neither to the brick molding or the inner molding.
I was contemplating removing this entire peice and making a new bar that extand to be flush with the brick molding. However I have seen this exact same situation at Home Depot product display in a photograph, but the forward view did little to explain the details of the frame build up.
Has anyone seen this situation before?
Drew
For each sidelight, you'll need to rip a 2x4 and screw it to the existing side moulding. Notch it at the top and bottom to fit the sill plate and trim.
Drew_Y wrote:

That was my idea but I wanted a more experienced opinion, Thank you!