Installing qtr round on a semi-circle?

After putting down hardwood floors recently, I'm covering the edges with a red oak quarter round. One area has a 14' half circle - it's a bow window area. What is the best way to install the quarter round in this area? The pieces are 8' long and 5/8" thick. I doubt the pieces would make the bend in 8' and 6' pieces without cracking. Should I use smaller pieces, kerf the back, soak the pieces in water around a mold? Not sure how to do this...

Thank for tips. Cheers! Dukester

Reply to
Dukester

Dennisketch suggests: The best solution that I have found for bending mouldings to a radius is to make yourself a simple steamer. In your case an 8' length of galvanized downspout pipe,(this is the pipe used to drain water off your roof),it can be the square type or the round. Cap off one end. Drill 2-3 small holes in this cap1/16" or so.Put your mouldings in the pipe. Slip a 90 degee bend onthe open end,this will keep the molding from sliding out, this should fit over the spout of a tea kettle that will produce all the steam you need to make your moldings pliable, in about 30 minutes of boiling water to create the steam. I use a small hotplate as a heat source. I do this on the floor of my shop of my shop with the pipe supported by wood blocks.Be careful...once the steam starts the pipe will get very hot. when it has steamed for about 30min. Let it cool to where you can handle it with gloves.Overbend the molding while it is warm. Allow it to cool in this shape, and it will stay in this shape. I use this process for building wood boats. Have fun, be safe!

Reply to
Dennisketch

Get enough to go the length twice. Rip both sets in half, with the kerf on opposite sides. Recombine the two halves and it should bend fine. You could do it in 3rds just as easily. Works better if you're painting, but as long as the two pieces are a good color match it shouldn't be noticeable.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

Are you using real 1/4 round or the more common base shoe? If base shoe, it's only 1/2" thick and I would think could make the bend. I've received some from the lumber yard that was already bent that much. :-) Otherwise I think Luef has the simple solution.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

Ok, call me ignorant. What do you mean by "rip both sets in half, with the kerf on opposite sides"? Are saying to rip the pieces lengthwise, then attach the back half, then the front half over top of the back? Sorry I can't get the picture in my mind..

Reply to
Dukester

I think what he's saying is to rip one piece and then move the fence one blade width and rip the other piece. Then put the two pieces (from separate boards) back together. If you just rip one piece of quarter round you will lose the material from the cut and they will not fit back together smoothly.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.