Installing bandsaw tires

I have received a new set of bandsaw tires from Rockler and I need to install them. I have never replaced them before. Does anyone have any tips on doing this that might lower my cussing quotient?

I have images of using the plastic tire "irons" that I use to mount bicycle tires.

Dick Durbin Tallahassee

Reply to
Olebiker

Here's what I did. I don't know if this is the "right" way, or even a "good" way, but it got the job done for me.

I've got a couple of one-handed reversable clamps

. I turned them around into spreader mode, and used them at right angles to each other to stretch the tire out large enough to just barely fit over the wheel. I slipped the tire on, released the clamps, and was done.

I couldn't see any other way that didn't involve, as you say, using up my cussing quota.

Reply to
Roy Smith

This is for a 20" bandsaw but might give you a couple ideas:

the bands in very hot water helps a bit.

Reply to
Steve

"Olebiker" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

I just installed these same tires on my 14" bandsaw. What worked for me was to set a large open cardboard box on it's side. I put a wheel and a tire in the box and placed a small electric heater in front of it. When the wheel was warm to the touch, I put it on my workbench. My son, who is bigger than I am, started the tire on the rim while I stretched and pushed it in place. As I made progress, he moved his grip to keep it from popping out. It takes strong fingers, but it worked for us. I tried metal bicycle tire irons and clamps and didn't have any luck.

By the way, the new tires made a world of difference in my old saw. I forgot how smooth it could run.

Don

Reply to
Don Wheeler

Suffolk instructions with their blades said to soak in 150° water for

15 m>"Olebiker" wrote in
Reply to
Bob Bowles

Bob, I finally got the time this evening to use the Suffolk method. Worked better than I had ever imagined. Thanks for the tip. Dick Durbin

Reply to
Olebiker