Installing 10' ceiling . . ..

Page 2 of 3

So how do I climb and stand on a ladder and screw a full sheet of plywood to a 10' foot ceiling? You must have never done this yourself.

My brother and I just installed Drywall in a house with 10' ceilings that we are rehabbing. We did not use a jack (we are cheap bastards).
It's not too difficult, put a drill on your belt, each person holds an end, climb the step ladder in unison, place the material, hold it in place with your forearm/shoulder, and put a few screws in it. Luan is significantly lighter than 1/2" drywall.
I admit, the wife probably wouldn't be much use. :)
The bigger question is, why are you being such an ass?
The big issue is why after reading my post . . . that clearly ask for SUGGESTIONS and clearly states NO friends or hire available . . . And your smartass answer is "don't you have any friends" Do you just assume only you are smart enough to ask a friend . . . Your next comment re: drywall lift was " he probably won't be able to find that either" That my feeble minded friend makes you the ASS ! ! !
If you have nothing to contribute but smart ass condescending remarks, that is what you will get back . .

You need help my friend, and not with hanging plywood. I was simply conversing.
Since you said you were near where Katrina construction, I am suprised that there are jacks to be had. It was an off the cuff comment, you must be having a bad day.
I hope you feel better now.
Condescending insults are not conversing . . . .

Typical asshole . . likes to start shit . . but then wants to act like he meant nothing when his wormy hand is called . .

Whatever dude. I'm done with you.
The king has spoken . . . oh yes your master . . . Trekie moron . . .

So now you are going through my past posts on here and replying with non-sensical comments?
Jeez, I apologize already.
Apology accepted . . .
And yes I am having a horrible day . . . In the past I lined up "friends" to help with ceiling NO SHOW ! ! ! Hired a guy, NO SHOW ! ! !
This has been going on for over a month and my permitt is expiring . . . can not be re-newed thanks to new building codes caused by Katrina . . .
Now you see why I'm a little ticked over you first replies . .
And yes I am somewhat mentally disturbed, that is what is required to do what I do for a living . . . we all have built in bullshit/asshole detector, so sometimes we do not appear the nicest of people when you lift our rock and poke at us . . .
Take care, Steve

Np, I know what it's like to have not have people show. Everyone talks about how bad the economy is, yet I can't ever get anyone to show up to work!

When I have to do something like this I make what I call dummies but I am sure that there is a real name. Basically 12 foot 2x4 s cut to the correct height, with a 4 foot "T" at the top. the "T" should be wrapped in something soft to protect the wood. Make a bunch of them and prop up the panels with the dummies while you screw in place.

Forget the ladder. A strong workbench is better. Or use a single 10' scaffolding walkway resting on two benches. You want to be about 3 feet off the floor.

Rent a drywall lift. Or, use 1 8' stepladder and 1 10' "dead man"
Steve DeMars wrote:

Rent a drywall panel lift. Probably about $50 for the day, and you should be able to do the ceiling in a couple of hours. http://contractorstools.com/telpanllift.html

There is probably a good chance he wont find any of those around either.

One other consideration, you will be working in a fire box.
You are an idiot . . . If you beleive that shit that drywall doesn't burn . . come work with me a few days . . I'm an insurance adjuster . . . Dry wall only slows the spread . . . from room to room . . .

WTF is your problem????
Located the Panel Lifts at a local rental store . . . $32.50 per day . . . tha is cheap help . . . and probably won't complain or whine . . .
Thanks . . . I had heard of them but never have seen or used one . . .
Thanks again . . . Steve