Installation of Posts for railings.

Hi all,

I am not new to newsgroups, but am new to rec.woodworking... I am contracting my own house out and I am at the stage where I am almost finish. I need however some information and knowing how useful newsgroups have been to me in the past, I thought I'd give this one a shot!

I am building what we in Canada (Well Windsor, On anyway) call a Raised Ranch, which just means that the basement is only in the groud 5 feet, and 3 above, so when you walk thru the front door, you have a landing (foyer) which you can go either upstairs or downstairs. This is rather big about

12x6. Now, above the landing on the upstairs, since it's open concept I need to put a railing there, I want to install railings myself. Now my problem is, I don't know if i need to install the Hardwood first then the railings or do I install the post first then the hard wood. I want to use rod iron for the spindles. The most important question is, How do you mount the poles to the floor so they are strong? The joists are Pre-engineered trusts 12" thick with 1/2 plywood on top. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Glenn

Reply to
HopsNBarley

Railings and structural elements first. Flooring after. The structure of the landing needs to be designed to support the railing, and the railing has to resist a lateral (sideways) force. Talk to an engineer or an architect if you are not sure how to do this. There are dozens of different ways to do this.

-j

J writes

Thanks, any examples on the internet that you can think of off the top of your head...I've been searching all afternoon.

Glenn

Reply to
HopsNBarley

and the manufacturer of the floor joists will have definite ideas about what does and does not constitute improper attachment to their product.

Reply to
bridger