Installation begins ...

Page 1 of 2
Due to being built in a shop too small to pre-assemble for a proper test fit, this is the first time all eleven components of this 14' long piece actually met to shake hands ... a glove maker would have been proud ...
https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/OngoingShopProjects#5660447208179740578
I should finish up the last bit of trim in the morning, and none too soon ... this puppy 'bout whipped my no longer young ass.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/OngoingShopProjects#5660447208179740578
That is a big desk! Looks nice!
Anybody sitting behind that thing should be well protected from almost any kind of office threat.
On Thu, 6 Oct 2011 15:55:33 -0400, "Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote:

Yeah, I'll bet it would stop Uzi fire, 12ga buckshot, and 9mm rounds nicely. (I'll bet Swingy's cringing about now. ;)
-- I merely took the energy it takes to pout and wrote some blues. --Duke Ellington

Is it safer to hide behind a particle board desk or a solid wood one during a gunfight? (It's safer not to be there.) The particle board would disintegrate in chunks while the solid wood would tend to splinter.
*g*
Puckdropper
On 06 Oct 2011 22:32:04 GMT, Puckdropper

I think he's using decent ply, so it would splinter IF it made it through an inch and a half of wood.
-- I merely took the energy it takes to pout and wrote some blues. --Duke Ellington

Heavier the better ... Open up a 22", full extension file drawer, chock full of files, (or two by accident) and there better be sufficient counterweight to make tipping an impossibility.
Sent from my iPad 2 ...
--
www.ewoodshop.com

What a sad and strange world we have made for ourselves.
On 10/6/11 2:30 PM, Swingman wrote:

https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/OngoingShopProjects#5660447208179740578
I hate you. :-)
--

-MIKE-

Swingman wrote:

https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/OngoingShopProjects#5660447208179740578
Wow, nice! I suspected all of the fuss must have been about that bend. Then I saw the photo of how you clamped it. Oooh, boy!! Some comparison might be made to calf-roping! : )
On 10/6/2011 3:07 PM, Bill wrote:

except a calf probably resists less. LOL!
--
Steve Barker

I think they sell the same thing at Ikea for about fifty bucks.

Arguably, one who "thinks" that perhaps needs to seek out a better class of clientele, eh?
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Perhaps he wishes to compare his pinewood pukey ducks to yours?
-- I merely took the energy it takes to pout and wrote some blues. --Duke Ellington

Looks like a heavyarse bitch, it does. Nicely done.
The first thought in my mind after seeing it in its new native habitat is "She's not going to be able to see her computer screen AT ALL with all that bright sunlight coming in all those windows! But she can see her shiny new desk very well.
Q1: Is it built to break down into smaller pieces for moving to the next house, or did she have you glue it all together in-place?
Q2: Did she ever tell you what the curved shelf underneath was for? Hmm, I no longer see it in the exploded drawing.
Q3: Didja drill the top for routing cabling up through it?
Kudos, Gramps. Yet another job well done.
-- I merely took the energy it takes to pout and wrote some blues. --Duke Ellington
On 10/6/2011 3:18 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Thank you!

She uses a laptop, and it is the same location of her old desk ... then again, that's _her_ problem. I just build the damn things. :)

That is basically why this "little project" whipped my ass ... it would have been an easy "built-in", but it had to be shop built in order to satisfy the architect's specs of being "easily movable "components" that would fit through a standard, 36" entry door".

One of the few changes that resulted in leaving something out. Though that still may change (cut it out just in case, but did not bring it up).

Will do that tomorrow ... she wanted to wait until she got all her "stuff" where she wanted it, and I concur. This is a woman Steve Jobs had nothing on when it comes to knowing what she wants, yet all woman when it comes to 'change of mind'.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Jewelcome.
Right, not your problem. Will she be putting up shutters or wooden blinds to regulate light, I wonder?

I hope you charged accordingly. In hindsight, didja?

Yeah, a 'spensive change.

The more things change...
Swingman wrote:

https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/OngoingShopProjects#5660447208179740578
Did you use some sort of spacers between the ribs going around the bend (to hold them in place) while you were gluing them? Darn impressive result!!!
Thanks for sharing the pictures. They are a great lesson just by themselves--and inspiring too!
Bill

I just noticed his band clamps. I'd never seen that style before. Self-contained band spool, quick-grip style action. Cool.
On 10/6/2011 2:30 PM, Swingman wrote:

https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/OngoingShopProjects#5660447208179740578
Very cool! I bet it weighed a ton. Were you able to get by on the one tube of caulk? ;~)
On 10/6/2011 3:49 PM, Leon wrote:

Actually, I can (still) pickup carry every one of the pieces by myself, and did, too damn many times.
Not a single bit of "caulk", Bubba ... that there was construction adhesive for the middle of the top and bottom trim on the curved section!
Since there is a 1/8" kerf every 3/8" on the interior part of the plywood lamination, there is little or nothing to hold a finish nail in that area, thus the need for an adhesive of some sort.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010