Install formica over old formica top

I want to install laminate (formica,etc) over my existing kitchen counters. 1- Is this OK? 2- How do I prepare surface and how do I install?
I did this to an old table I used in the shop.
1 - belt sand the existing formica. 2 - wipe off. 3 - mount new formica like you normally would
So far - Ive had no problems and its been like3 years.

Yep that's the way it's done. The OP needs to make sure the existing formica is solid on its substrate first - then go at it like you did.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company
On 21 Aug 2005 12:50:06 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I'm assuming your existing countertops are laminate.
Assuming there are no problems ... lifting, peeling, gouges, etc ... with the existing tops, you can laminate over them.

Worst practice -- rough up with a sander, contact cement the new laminate into place over the old, trim as required.
Better practice -- screw and glue 1/4 or 3/8's plywood over existing top. Fill and sand. Contact cement new laminate onto plywood.
Best practice -- remove old countertop, build new one. Takes about the same amount of time.
As to how to install ... there are many excellent books. Consult a library.
Ken