INSPIRATION - Ukuleie

http://www.planetgaa.com/Uke/index.html
I wouldn't make one myself. Most of you probably won't recall him, but back with I, and television, were young, and stations were few, they had a guy named Arthur Godfrey on. He'd plunk on one of these damn things and completely killed any interest in them for all time.
On Aug 10, 3:05 am, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Ol' Arthur did do a lot of damage to the uke's image, but for real damage, you had to go to Hawaii where they actually "play" the things. In two years on Oahu, I never once heard a ukulele used in a way that didn't offend the ears.
Then again, you don't want to hear my opinion of the samisen. I do like the sitar, though, at least when played by Ravi Shankar.
(J T) wrote:

Apparently you've never heard this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J30S6hkiyU

Buddy

Herbert Khaury was the final nail.
For first building attempt, try to find a preslotted fretboard. Fret cutting is half the battle, so many variables to screw up.

More strings = more range of expression, maybe?
J T wrote:

I guess I'm old, too. I remember Arthur Godfrey and Tennessee Ernie Ford, and Mitch Miller and Lawrence Welk, also.
Used to own Keds and PF-Flyers (one pair at a time ... whichever was cheapest the week before school started).
Didn't Don Ho molest ukuleles too?
Bill
--
I'm not not at the above address.
http://nmwoodworks.com

And here is a truely amazing kid (really, he's like 19) that is singlehandedly undoing all the damage Arthur Godfrey caused: http://www.jakeshimabukuro.com
He is a devotee of George Harrison and does a version of 'My Guitar Gently Weeps' that IMHO is better that the original. See the video at http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid 9401773913198414
I saw him in concert and he really changed my idea of ukulele music. Really, 'Ava Maria' on the ukulele - has to heard to be believed.
--
Frank Stutzman

Mon, Aug 13, 2007, 8:42pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@skywagon.kjsl.com (FrankStutzman) doth publically state: <snip> I saw him in concert and he really changed my idea of ukulele music. Really, 'Ava Maria' on the ukulele - has to heard to be believed.
I cannot see myself going to ANY concert containing, let alone featuring, a ukulele. Urrghh, I just recalled Tiny Tim plunking one. I hope you rot in Hell for recalling that for me.
Now it it was a banjo, then I would definitely be interested; especially if it was Grandpa Jones, playing Ava Maria.

Humor me. Watch the video I provided the link to. Better yet, start it playing and close your eyes. If you are honest about it, I'll wager you would never recognize it as a ukulele.
--
Frank Stutzman
Bonanza N494B "Hula Girl"
On Aug 13, 8:05 pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Didn't he die onstage while playing his uke?

You'll settle for Don Wayne and Dale Reno playing Black Sabbath's "War Pigs?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_fODduUkk4

Look carefully at Don Wayne's banjo. Legend has it that the instrument was the very one used by Earl Scruggs to cut the original Bluegrass Boys recordings in the 1940s. Earl lost it to Don Reno during a drinking game or something, and it stayed in Don's ownership until it passed hands to son Don Wayne. If it's Earl's instrument, the finish would be completely worn through in a tiny, nickel-sized patch on the shell right next to the bottom edge of the fretboard.
Who'd ever think Earl's banjo would end up playing covers of Black Sabbath and AC/DC?
Mon, Aug 13, 2007, 8:18pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (FatherHaskell) doth posteth: Didn't he die onstage while playing his uke? Look carefully at Don Wayne's banjo. <snip>
Maybe someone beat him to death with it?
Fan of Earl, but never heard of the others. Here's a bit of classical music. http://audio.cdbaby.com/ca7f9833/mp3lofi/j/u/jugstompers-03.mp3
On Aug 14, 12:05 am, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

There's a tearful ballad.

The condensed version --
Don Reno was Earl's principle competition. Don Wayne and Dale are his sons, and have learned well from their dad. Both are excellent musicians, if their ability to import non-bluegrass songs into bluegrass are any proof.

Browser can't find.
Mon, Aug 13, 2007, 11:30pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (FatherHaskell) doth sayeth, drat. <snippity> Browser can't find.
Drat, won't work for me now either. Try this. Click where it says 'click here' then pick the songs you want to hear. http://www.jugstompers.com/hear_us.htm That should work. I hope.
"Frank Stutzman" wrote in message

Israel Kama-kawiwo'ole' and "Somewhere Over The Rainbow".
If he doesn't put goosebumps on your arms with his voice and uke on that song, you're dead.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/8/07
"Swingman" wrote in message

Here it is:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1wpod_somewhere-over-the-rainbow-israel-k
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/8/07

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Iz was a truly great performer (IZ is!). It's not often that someone can take such a familiar song and make it into a new experience. I guess that is what a real musician is. Wish I was that, but I can only replicate what others have originated.
Regards, PDX David
"Jane & David" wrote in message

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1wpod_somewhere-over-the-rainbow-israel-k
You're welcome. It hits me like that too.
It is one of those *performances* that, the first time I heard it, I had to pull over to the side of the road. That's happened maybe three times in my life, and I've played professionally, with some folks you would recognize, for over 40 years now.
AAMOF, it was my 22 year old daughter who, from upstairs, heard me searching for a link to it this morning and told me exactly where to find it ... she's got good taste, that girl. Raised right! :)
Simplicity can be truly beautiful!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/8/07

my mind changed about the ukulele when I saw the Concert for George Harrison. Paul got up and told how after dinner with George, the uke's would come out and they would sing songs. So, it was cool for two of the Beatles, then it would be cool for me. On my "I will build one someday" list.
MJ Wallace

You're gonna build a Beatle?
B.