Inspiration--Steampunk Workshop

More brass than wood, but inspirational nonetheless.
http://steampunkworkshop.com /
Also, he's got a link to the RepRap http://reprap.org/bin/view/Main/WebHome which I had never heard of before--it's conceptually similar to that gadget that uses a laser to grow parts out of a pool of plastic--less precise but can work with a wider range of materials. Again not woodworking, but looks interesting nonetheless, especially considering that it's open sourced and DIY.
J. Clarke wrote:

Cool! I wonder if there's a SketchUp plug-in for that. ;-)
I'm off to look at UV lasers...
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Morris Dovey wrote:

The RepRap doesn't use a laser, instead it uses an extruder--that way it can work with most thermoplastics and not just UV-hardening resins. One of the neat things about it is that it's designed so that the pieces can be made using a RepRap--one of the rituals of the community is that the first project one does on a RepRap is make the parts for two more and distribute them to others at cost. Can be built for less than the price of a Ridgid table saw. There's another project that uses a laser, but that one looks like one's into loaded Unisaw price territory.
J. Clarke wrote:

I like the idea of the print head extruder, but I've worked on a project where we made several generations of (semi-precision) prototype parts with one of the laser devices, and I confess: I've been thoroughly spoiled.
Once I had my Unisaur, I knew there was no going back. :)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

If it doesn't, I wouldn't be interested. <G> ( and, you, sir, have a touch of the ladle/paddle...)
Other than that, that whole deal is some totallyawesomefarking amazing. But... I am having too much fun as it is. Any more and I'd explode.

Actually there is a plug in for Sketchup to run a 3D printer.

"Leon" wrote ...

You mean this foam printer?:
http://www.phlatboyz.com /
It would be fun to make model airplanes with. :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

No, it creates a 3d model. I forget where I saw it but the news was announcing the next version of the plug-in and that it was a huge improvement IIRC. I don't recall the exact plug-in however these links show what I am talking about.
http://www.cadspan.com/tools
http://www.cadinfo.net/editorial/z402.htm