INSPIRATION - 'Lectrc Guitar

If I could play a guitar, tis would probably inspire me to make one like this - out of plywood - that was my first thought on seeing it. One, to see how it would t urn out, and two, to see how many people it would piss off. I probably would only paint the top of the neck yellow, the rest I would finis with cooking oi. Ah, life can indeed be fun.

JOAT I have anal glaucoma. I can't see my ass going to work today.

Reply to
J T

The only electric guitar I want is the original Les Paul, he made it out of a 4x4. Heard him play it once at an AES convention.

Mark (sixoneeight) = 618

Reply to
Markem

What-the-hay, why not a 1959? A 1959 Les Paul in good condition can be easily priced between $100,000 and $500,000.

Unfortunately, Les Paul had very little to do with any of the Les Paul designs. Gibson designed and built a guitar, Les Paul picked the colour and allowed Gibson to put on his name.

Robatoy

Well, I've seen electric guitars made from plywood, MDF, flakeboard, old construction lumber, aluminum, plastic and steel. Probably other things as well. They have come finished in every color under the sun and a few you can't imagine. They get covered in decals, gold leaf, fabric and leather. Electric guitar luthiers are one group you are unlikely to be able to piss off, no matter how weird you go.

Remember, Kiss is a mild, mainstream act.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

Probably a good thing having seen the original, it weren't purty till he played it.

Mark (sixoneeight) = 618

Reply to
Markem

Mon, Apr 16, 2007, 10:56am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@bendcable.com (Tim=A0Douglass) doth sayeth: Electric guitar luthiers are one group you are unlikely to be able to piss off, no matter how weird you go. Remember, Kiss is a mild, mainstream act.

Oh, I don't care who it'd piss off, I'm just sure it would piss someone off.

Kiss? As far as I know, I've never even heard Kiss. Don't tey wear weird makeup? I'm not interest in listening to guys that wear makeup, damn sure aren't going to watch them. Well, in truth I wouldn't watch them, or even listen to them, makeup or no makeup.

JOAT I have anal glaucoma. I can't see my ass going to work today.

Reply to
J T

Yep. That's them. And that's my point. To you they are way out weird (OK, to me too), but compared to a lot of what is out there they are mild and mainstream. There is weird stuff out there that the normal human can barely dream of.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

Listen to some of their old albums. Put aside any preconceptions, and just listen. KISS were skilled musicians who played cleanly, accurately, with a high level of discipline -- no one band member tried to outdo the others, which would lead to noise, and consequently an early breakup.

Not that they lacked in the weirdness department. There's an infamous KISS comic book that was printed with ink containing blood from each of the four band members.

Reply to
Father Haskell

Glue supposedly deadens sound. Old Gibson banjos made with

3-ply shells fetch higher prices than 5-ply. Less glue, more wood = brighter sound.

That said, Bondo and sand the hell out of it before painting.

Reply to
Father Haskell

Have you read Gibson Electrics by A.R. Duchossoir? The book gives a good history of Gibson electrics with interviews with Les and Ted McCarty from Gibson among others. You might be surprised at how much influence Les actually had on solid body production. While Les did not design final body styles, design features like scale length, and the original combo bridge/tailpiece were his. The patent for the original wrap around tailpiece was applied for by L. W. Polfus. in 1952. Of course by the time the patent was issued in '56, the McCarty designed tune-o-matic had already replaced the one designed by Les. Anyway, the book is an interesting read if you like the minutia of Gibson history.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

Tue, Apr 17, 2007, 12:45pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@bendcable.com (Tim=A0Douglass) doth sayeth: Yep. That's them. And that's my point. To you they are way out weird (OK, to me too), but compared to a lot of what is out there they are mild and mainstream. There is weird stuff out there that the normal human can barely dream of.

Oh, I'm tolerent. I could get along with just listening to their music, and not looking at them. Except for the fact that I don't like their music.

JOAT I have anal glaucoma. I can't see my ass going to work today.

Reply to
J T

Tue, Apr 17, 2007, 4:14pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Father=A0Haskell) doth adviseth: Glue supposedly deadens sound. Old Gibson banjos made with 3-ply shells fetch higher prices than 5-ply. Less glue, more wood =3D brighter sound. That said, Bondo and sand the hell out of it before painting.

I'm tone deaf so no prob there.

Nah, I figure just paint, that should piss some of the too ight people off even more.

JOAT I have anal glaucoma. I can't see my ass going to work today.

Reply to
J T

Automotive lacquer. It'll rub out to a pianolike gloss. Krylon fast-dry "enamel" is close, comes in a wide selection of gaudy colors.

Reply to
Father Haskell

Tue, Apr 17, 2007, 11:24pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Father=A0Haskell) doth sayeth: Automotive lacquer. It'll rub out to a pianolike gloss. Krylon fast-dry "enamel" is close, comes in a wide selection of gaudy colors.

Well sure, if you want to make a fancy one. If I was gonna make one and do that, I'd go the whole route. But that wouldn't be fun. "IF" I were to make one, it'd be for my enjoyment, and part of that enjoyment woud be yellow latex paint somewhere on it (withOUT the bondo, smoothing, auto paints, etc.), and leave the rest obviously plywood. Which reinds me, I realy need to dig out my banjo and finish tat. Pallet wood, dgwood, pine, plywood, door skin, I think some hickory; it'll have a bit of yllow latex (on th backside), and probably a tinted cooking oil finish. About the only thing storebought on it will be probably nothing. It should look pretty good really, but as I don't know how to play a banjo, I'll need to add learning to play to my to-do list.

JOAT I have anal glaucoma. I can't see my ass going to work today.

Reply to
J T

See if you can get some of that striped Rust-oleum in the spray cans. That way the wood won't rust.

Reply to
Bill in Detroit