INSPIRATION - GUN CASE

You has to scroll down for the pictures. Interesting, but too weird for me. On the other hand, I don't think many people would think something like that would have a drawer.

JOAT Blessed are the flexible; for they shall never be bent out of shape.

- Unknown

Reply to
J T

Certainly makes good camouflage from a would be thief, but not something I'd want to have in a home that has kids in it. First instinct for them would be to start playing with it.

Reply to
Upscale

Not to be pedantic but I'd have thought that the flexible would actually be MORE likely to be bent out of shape.

FoggyTown

Reply to
foggytown

Sat, Jul 23, 2005, 3:45am snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com (Upscale) spaketh out: Certainly makes good camouflage from a would be thief, but not something I'd want to have in a home that has kids in it. First instinct for them would be to start playing with it.

Ah, but that's where the "inspiration" comes in. Put a gun in something you wouldn't actually mind having in your home. LOL However, something like this would probably go over big with kids, complete with secret drawer.

Guns should, of course, be out of access for children, mentally incompotent people (politicians, etc.). However, people tend to forget that kids are small people - and very clever at times. Best way to keep kids from misusing firearms is to teach them safe gunhandling, from an early age - wish we had more politicians intelligent enough to realize that. But still, don't forget to keep them out of easy access.

JOAT Blessed are the flexible; for they shall never be bent out of shape.

- Unknown

Reply to
J T

Sun, Jul 24, 2005, 1:11am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (foggytown) did say: Not to be pedantic but I'd have thought that the flexible would actually be MORE likely to be bent out of shape.

Nah, we adapt. It's when you're inflexible, you stay bent - or break.

JOAT Blessed are the flexible; for they shall never be bent out of shape.

- Unknown

Reply to
J T

Not completely sure I agree with the early teaching of safe gun handling. By all means, if there's a gun on the premises, show it to them, explain why you have it and it's dangers, but admonish them against ever picking up a gun or showing it to their friends if they find one. Later in life maybe, early teen years, start teaching them proper firearm use with a few trips to a gun range or whatever.

I guess it's the environment we live in. Living in Canada, guns are more strickly controlled and most kids don't get close to guns. Doesn't mean that it's never happened or that accidents haven't happened, but they're not commonplace at all. That is except for the various teenage gang thugs that use guns to enhance their image. I'm always wonder how they're getting their guns. Probably buying them from Hells Angels or something like that.

Reply to
Upscale

Well. I got my first gun at the age of 6 years. It was a 410 shot gun and I oiled it almost every day. It was always in my room and I had the shells.

However, there were some rules. Assume it is always loaded and the job it would do on a watermelon was the same job it would do on a human. Never point it at anyone (reference first rule). Never display it to anyone (having one didn't make you better and didn't entitle you to any points). If you ever violate any of the rules, the gun will be confiscated and your ass will be kicked unmercifully (you can bet your ass I believed that if you knew my old man).

I have owned multiple guns for 50 years and have never brandished one in anger (don't claim that I haven't been tempted, but have not had to as a matter of self preservation). The point is that I was taught that I was responsible for my actions. Not you, not the government and not anyone else. Just me.

Of course, YMMV.

BTW, I'm from middle Georgia originally, so the usual Texas assumptions do not apply.

Reply to
Michael Gresham

Sun, Jul 24, 2005, 2:32pm snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com (Upscale) Not completely sure I agree with the early teaching of safe gun handling. By all means, if there's a gun on the premises, show it to them

I go along with the other guys. Never too early to start. Teach them to never point a gun at anyone, or anywhere it could be dangerous for a bullet to traven in, if it were to go off by accident. Of course, teach them not to pick up and handle a gun they find. But, also teach them how to poperly handle, and clear, a weapon, and to treat any, and all, weapons as if they are loaded, whether they know they are or not. AND, possibly most important, if they are at a friend's house, and the friend brings out a gun, or starts to handle one they found, to leave, immediately; because chances are their friend has never been told how to properly treat a gun. I've read too many cases of a kid accesing a gun in the home (and I'm not neccesarily talking about one in easy acces, or even loaded), and killing a friend, because they "didn't know it was loaded". If they'd been taught from an early age to treat guns with respect, they'd have never touched the weapon in the first place, and second, would have at least kown to treat it as if it was loaded.

Around here, some years back, a couple of 18 year olds were going fishing. One had his father's .38 revolver. He was at his friend's house, before they went. The friend wanted to see it. So, the one unloaded the revolver and handed it over. He looked it over, and handed it back. The revolver was then reloaded, and reholstered. The second friend's girlfriend came in, and to "impress her", or for some other stupid reason, he grabbed the revolver out of the holster, put it to his head, and pulled the trigger. Died from stupidity. He hadn't seen the revolver being reloaded, and didn't realize it had been. If he'd been taught from an early age, he should have treated it as if it was loaded, regardless if he'd seen it unloaded, or not. I even recheck weapons I have personally just unloaded, and certainly recheck any weapon someone else unloaded and hands to me.

Many years back I handed a new revolver, unloaded of course, to a neighbor to look at. The revolver was immediately pointed at the ceiling, with a loud "yahoo", and the trigger pulled several times. Needless to say, I snatched the revolver back, and fairly politely asked what they thought they were doing.