INSPIRATION - English Oak Bible Box

http://colonialarts.com/catalog_artwork/furn4.htm
I'm not clear on whether you'd have to be English to make a copy, speak English, have to use oak from England, get special dispensation to make it from any wood other than oak, or what. And, I'm not even going to mention making one to hold anything other than a Bible. LMAO
But, if I run across some decent wood, I may see about making one for a friend of mine, who's pastor of a local church - as hard as that may be for some of you to believe. I think NC grown hickory would be rather nice.
JOAT WYGIWYGAINGW: What You Get Is What You're Given And It's No Good Whining.

JOAT have you ever seen this?: http://www.e-sword.net/ try it, you won't need the box.
Alex
Thu, Dec 23, 2004, 8:22pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@notquite.net (AAvK) asks: JOAT have you ever seen this?: http://www.e-sword.net/ try it, you won't need the box.
I prefer the box.
Religious truth. Now that reminds me of "military intelligence", "jumbo shrimp", and so on.
JOAT WYGIWYGAINGW: What You Get Is What You're Given And It's No Good Whining.
On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 22:31:35 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

It's not 18th century English either. It might be American (most likely), or it might be older English work - it might even be rustic Welsh, but it's not English-made and newer than mid-17thC.
Wish there was a pic of inside so we could see the lock mechanism. That might clinch it.
FoggyTown

I doubt it. Bible boxes are common, original locks are impossibly rare. Most of the ones I see have obvious signs of two or three locks, and many of them were originally unlocked, as you can tell from the carving.
Fri, Dec 24, 2004, 11:23am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@codesmiths.com (AndyDingley) claims: It's not 18th century English either. It might be American (most likely), or it might be older English work - it might even be rustic Welsh, but it's not English-made and newer than mid-17thC.
I just found out the actual history on that box. It was made by an old Englishman, living in the Welsh countryside, out of oak cut in England, in the late 17th Century, and sold to an American tourist. LMAO,
JOAT Diplomacy is the act of saying, "Nice Doggie" till you can find a big rock to bash in his skull. - Unknown
On Thu 23 Dec 2004 09:31:35p, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote in

Does he have an English Oak Bible?
On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 22:31:35 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

I've got a lot of odd friends - some of whom would possibly be a bit embarrassed to claim me.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com