INSPIRATION - Chickey Coop

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/chicken-coop.php
JOAT A rolling stone gathers no moss...unless it's a hobby he does on the weekends.
Add pictures here
βœ–
J T wrote:

I just finished reading another thread on this group where one of those classic wreck arguments was going on. This one centered on whether 1/64" was "close enough" when dealing with wood. The perfectionists describing 1/64th as a canyon and the pragmatists countering. Well I think you have directed us to one project here where 1/64th is adequate accuracy.
After just reading that post yours brought a smile to my face. Thanks.
Ken
Add pictures here
βœ–
Sun, Dec 4, 2005, 7:06pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@computer.org (Ken) doth sayeth: <snip> centered on whether 1/64" was "close enough" when dealing withwood. The perfectionists describing 1/64th as a canyon and the pragmatists countering. <snip>
Wood moves. Metal doesn't. The realists know that wood can sometimes expand or contract 1/64", or more, the idiots ignore that fact. I don't think I can even measure wood that close, let alone cut it that close.
JOAT A rolling stone gathers no moss...unless it's a hobby he does on the weekends.
Add pictures here
βœ–
J T said:

Which is why I stayed out of that particular conversation... <g>

Come on, now, JOAT. You had me until you said idiots...
Metal DOES expand and contract, just as wood does, just not from moisture - it rusts instead. <g>
Everything is a set of compromises - and some applications simply don't demand the precision some people are eluding to. But some applications might - like this:
http://www.thevideodoc.com/Images/SegmentSolid02.jpg
When cutting these segments, an error equivalent to thickness of a piece of card stock paper will cause a cumulative error that makes this segmented ring impossible to realize. I work with tolerances greater than .01" when doing this.
Does it matter on a table or a bed? Nope.
Does it matter on this?:
http://www.thevideodoc.com/Images/SegmentedBowl1.jpg
Yes, it does.
Wood does expand and contract, but it does so in concert - all pieces generally doing about the same bit of movement. If you're really good, it all stays together over time. If you're not - you have a pile of fire starter kindling. <g>
JMHO,
Greg G.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Mon, Dec 5, 2005, 12:29am snipped-for-privacy@electron.com (Greg G.) dorth sayeth: <snip> Come on, now, JOAT. You had me until you said idiots... <snip> Well, I wanted to be polite. After all, I "am" a people person.
JOAT A rolling stone gathers no moss...unless it's a hobby he does on the weekends.
Add pictures here
βœ–
J T said:

Yeah, I though so... ;-)