INSPIRATION - Chest Beckets

http://www.marlinespike.com/beckets.html
Tried a post at rec.woodworking.JOAT, but kept getting routed back here, to this bunch of savages. The moderator there kept babbling some nonsense about The Cabal threatening him with grievous bodily harm if it was posted there. There is no Cabal. the Woodworking Gods agree.
JOAT Charity ain't giving people what you wants to give, it's giving people what they need to get. - Albert
On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 19:47:14 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Nice beckets, but they're not cheap.
I had a couple of beckets made for repairing and old chest a while ago. One of the neighbours was _delighted_ to make them up for me. He's an old sailor who can do this sort of Belfast whiteline work but (a bit like wood turners) he rarely gets the chance to display it. There's only so much knotwork you can have around a house...
Fri, Jan 21, 2005, 3:51am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@codesmiths.com (AndyDingley) says: Nice beckets, but they're not cheap. <snip>
One of the main reasons I post stuff as inspiration - most of the stuff is vastly overpriced (apparently designed and/or made by "artistes", especially if it's in horrible taste) , and usually not that hard to make a decent looking copy. I hadn't really thought of something like this for chest handles, but like the idea a lot.
JOAT Charity ain't giving people what you wants to give, it's giving people what they need to get. - Albert
On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 09:44:21 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Very traditional for sailor's sea chests. They have rope to hand, skills in working it and spare time to do it. They're also lighter than iron, rustproof and don't clank on a rolling ship.
The usual quick check for spotting a sailor's chest vs. a carpenter's chest is to look at the handles; rope or iron.