I do not think these are painted, but I do think the basic idea is great. A kid would love something like this. Girls expecially, for butterfiles. Boys would probably prefer something else. Maybe race cars, boats, whatever. Ask the kid what he/she likes, that beats the Hell out of guessing, then getting it wrong. My grand dau likes butterflies, purple, and pink.
Make the box, paint it, maybe just stain it. Find some clip-art buterflies, or whatever. Loads of clip-art out there, mega-easy to find. Print some (in color), cut them out, glue on, potective finish. No prob. Nice thing, the box wouldn't need to be fancy, or fancy wood, because you're going to paint it. Neat.
JOAT Jesus was a Ford man, that's why he walked everywhere.
GREEN ONIONS /green.mid