Inline speed control for a grinder

Dittoes. And think of all the synergistic and serendipitous learning which can come from the simple making of mistakes. Thomas Edison is a perfect example, a man who pushed his way through his mistakes and failures, all the way to a brilliant success. He theorized, experimented, and failed his way through to 1093 patents.

No, expertise needs action/practice to mold its shape. But think of the benefits to all if everyone read more. One truly can read their way to competence.

-- Every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as I have received and am still receiving. -- Albert Einstein

Reply to
Larry Jaques

We all are. I'm not so sure a high speed grinder is not the right tool for lathe tool sharpening.

Sometimes, there can be modifications that can be done safely, and the results are within

Yabut grinders are fairly safe tools, I think. About all that can go wrong grinding a lathe tool is the wrong angle and burning the temper. Not saying I haven't looked at some of the fancy nancy low speed sharpening gizmo's out there, but not so much for my lathe tools as other things. Lathe tools work perfect right off the grinder, and need no fancy honing and polishing.

If I didn't already have a high speed grinder, I probably could be talked into a Griz low speed grinder, or more likely one of those fancy nancy Tormek Wet Sharpening things. I would not jump though hoops to slow down my bench grinder, which does a super job on my lathe tools, not to mention grinding points on off screws, sharpens drills, lawnmower blades and a million other things.

Reply to
Jack

Now, I totally disagree with your last sentence. America is full of experts, people who are educated beyond their capacity, and most of them are teachers or government employees.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

And the rest if them are usenet posters!

Reply to
Larry W