Inline speed control for a grinder

Page 2 of 2
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to buy that Porter Cable and be happy.
Mike

If you haven't bought yet, consider one of these.
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2080939/29437/8in-Slow-Speed-Grinder.aspx
I have two, and love them both. First, while not variable, they are slow speed grinders. Second, and probably just as important, they come with white, friable wheels which are much superior to sharpening tool steel than the old gray wheels.
They cut cooler, faster, and with less bounce on the wheel. These wheels are the best for your lathe tools and cost about $25 each for the 6" size, and about $35 for the 8" size. Surfacing them on occasion to keep them clean, mine have lasted for years.
If you buy the 6" grinder, then buy the right wheels, you are at the same price as this grinder. The Woodcraft boys told me they have kept these around specifically for wood turners and because they have a great track record. I believe it; one of mine is 14 years old and still working fine!
Robert
Those were just on sale last month too. I believe 80 some odd ..

I did see this in Woodcraft. That price is a little high. Also, I'd like to have a grinder set up to do other things that need a higher speed (axe, mower blade, &c), and so a variable speed is probably better for me.
Thanks,
Mike