Inlay Template Routing??

Anyone have some good tips on inlay using a router and template to cut both the positive and negative? \ Joe
Go here: http://www.newwoodworker.com/rotrinlays.html and all your questions will be answered.

That is a helpful link, but I am not at all clear on some of the photos shown: For example, the Dutchman example has such sharp inside corners that it seems unlikely that either the cutout hole or the inlay piece was made with the techniques that are described. Any comments on that? TIA. -- Igor
When I read the article carefully I got the same impression. According to the author one should use the bushing in designing templates. Well, the bushing is 9/16" and I don't see how you can get the corners he shows in the dutchman to come out. What are we missing here??

joe bleau wrote:

<snip>
The missing info is that the inside corners of the base material needs to be chiseled out. The outside corners of the inlay material itself will have sharp corners.
Rick
ranted:

Hand-carving the details with chisels/gouges, just like you do with a mortising machine.
--
"If the promise of the Declaration of Independence is ever to be fulfilled,
it will be the Libertarian Party which fulfills it. If the Constitution is

I think it's possible, because they don't give an indication of the overall size. If that's a big dutchman, then those corners might be bigger than you expect.
OTOH, I don't think this technique is _practical_ for a sharp-cornered shape like a neat dutchman. You could do it, but it would look ugly.
--
Smert' spamionam