Inlay Template Routing??

Anyone have some good tips on inlay using a router and template to cut both the positive and negative? \ Joe

Reply to
joe bleau

Go here:

and all your questions will be answered.

Reply to
joe bleau

That is a helpful link, but I am not at all clear on some of the photos shown: For example, the Dutchman example has such sharp inside corners that it seems unlikely that either the cutout hole or the inlay piece was made with the techniques that are described. Any comments on that? TIA. -- Igor

Reply to
igor

Reply to
joe bleau

The missing info is that the inside corners of the base material needs to be chiseled out. The outside corners of the inlay material itself will have sharp corners.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Stein

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 16:56:58 -0400, joe bleau calmly ranted:

Hand-carving the details with chisels/gouges, just like you do with a mortising machine.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I think it's possible, because they don't give an indication of the overall size. If that's a big dutchman, then those corners might be bigger than you expect.

OTOH, I don't think this technique is _practical_ for a sharp-cornered shape like a neat dutchman. You could do it, but it would look ugly.

Reply to
Andy Dingley