inlay

I am making a computer desk. The good news is I am going to have more desktop to clutter. The bad news is the joint between the plywood top and the 2x4 frame is ragged. So, knowing an inlay will hide a multitude of sins, I plan on inlaying a 1/8th by 1/2" strip of walnut to hide the ragged joint. Cutting the dado for the inlay is not my problem. My problem is, "How do I get the corners square." What I do not want to do is route the dado and have a ragged corner where two dados come together. The desk is "L" shaped and the inlay will be along the inside of the "L" and on each end. So,I will have 3 mitered corners.

I am not worried about the back joint as it will be hidden by the junk on the desk.

Thanks

Deb

Reply to
Dr. Deb

You do not say whether the top is already glued in place. I am presuming it is already glued, since otherwise it should be square.

When I have needed to route in a similar situation, I stop the router just shy of the mitre location and I finish off the corners by hand with a sharp chisel.

To avoid the router causing any more jagged edges, before routing I would make a surface scribe/cut along the plywood with a sharp knife at the location of the outside edge of the router bit.

Dave Paine.

Reply to
Tyke

Yes.. sharp chisel... No Problem.. Woodworker stores do sell chisels and other items that make this cut.. but not really needed... I know someone who has to cut a lot square corners.. these tools work for him

Reply to
dwolf

In addition to the other advice, cover the are where the dado will be made with the blue, low adhesive tape and route through the tape. That helps the edges from splintering and tearout.

Also, do a practice piece first to develop your technique so you're not practicing on the good stuff....

Bob S.

Reply to
BobS