Inlay

I have a friend that makes knifes. He was at a knife show & saw a knife with an inlayed handle with some sort of a western theme. I have no idea what it looked liked. He asked me how to inlay something that small in a knife handle. I have no idea. I have an inlay set for my router but theres no way it would get down that small. Anyone have an idea how to do an inlay that small in wood?
It could be carved with a small bit mounted on a Dremel (something similar to what dentists use when they repair a cavity), then the cavity is filled with colored epoxy and sanded smooth.
This is only my guess, in no way I'm positive about that.
Wally
On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 17:14:23 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net (Jim) wrote:

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 17:14:23 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net (Jim) calmly ranted:

Dental burr in a Dremel or other rotary tool, then slap some colored epoxy in there. Laser cutting is another plausible method.
--
Impeach 'em ALL!
A scrollsaw with a super thin blade. You would take 1/8th or 1/4 inch oak and black walnut (or what ever you're using), stack them, place your pattern on, and then tape them up with clear packing tape. Make your cuts and then swap out for the inlay.
On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 17:14:23 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net (Jim) wrote:

go study with this guy: http://home.pacbell.net/ebeniste/school.htm