Ink under Shellac

PD:

If we're going that way, try a label maker. If you don't cotton to all the extra tape background, Xacto. Also, maybe you just want the letter forms without the label. Put the lettered label on. Take a pin. Punch through the letters carefully. Go for the stippled effect with paint after wiping or use the holes as a carving guide.

Stencil cutting or stencil-cutting machines add another option to the field. By cutting a machine stencil of your expression and adding light spray paint coats, you can have a sterling result if you assure a crisp contact of stencil and wood.

Artists normally seal calligraphy with a fixative spray in gloss or matte finish. It is designed to prevent pigment and dye deckling. Whether it works on all media--or under shellac--will be a matter of trial.

Personally, I'd be a big fan of paint in this application.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

Or he could just find a "Things Remembered" and for 10 bucks or so have them make up a nice little brass plate with the information on it.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Could be. What would you use to spray it with? I've never really sprayed anything before (other than scratches on a car with a rattle can!)

I suppose one of those little airbrush kits from an art shop won't be too much. I'd love to see how this turns out - might have to try it for myself in the week.

Reply to
David Paste

David Paste wrote in news:b59ae4e0-34cb-491b-8d3a- snipped-for-privacy@d27g2000vbz.googlegroups.com:

I've got a cheap air brush and a small spray booth. It's an external mix that uses a lid and siphon tube set up, so if something doesn't work all I've got to do is clean those parts.

The trick is getting the paint mixture thin enough and clean enough to spray. I'll probably have to thin down the 2# cut of the Sealcoat and strain it.

Shellac is available in a spray can as well, but probably wouldn't be economical in quantity.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Paint and a fine model brush. Luthiers using shellac have a similar problem. Alcohol makes dark oily woods such as rosewood bleed, which can spoil a nice purfling job. Trick is seal the wood with a couple of spit coats of

1 lb wiped on with a rag, being sure not to go back over any areas unless they're dry, and to change the rag the second it shows a hint of stain. Goes a lot faster than it sounds.
Reply to
Father Haskell

snipped-for-privacy@l36g2000vbp.googlegroups.com:

You can also transfer the image by wiping the back of the copy with an acetone-soaked rag.

Reply to
Father Haskell