Info - HF CAS SHLV Gun

Hi Guys:
Just thought I'd post an informative thing here. Recently the local HF had a parking lot sale and I picked up an HVLP gun - just because it was cheap and I thought I'd see how it worked as a primer gun. Can't ever have too many guns, ya know. This is the gun I picked up...
http://www.harborfreight.com/20-oz-8-cfm-gravity-feed-spray-gun-67181.html
I got it for $9 at the parking lot sale prices and figured I wouldn't go broke if it did not perform well. Loaded it up with urethane primer today and put it to use. It worked perfectly. I wouldn't expect more from a very expensive gun. Now - it may not last all that long but time will tell that story. For guys that paint on a far more occasional basis than I do, it would be a great primer gun.
The cautionary reminder is these are CAS guns and no CAS gun is designed to shoot latex like a turbine HVLP, so don't look for it to fulfill that purpose. But - if you're shooting lacquer, urethane, etc., especially on an occasional basis, it's a good buy - even if it's a throw away after 5 or 6 uses.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@windstream.net
Mike Marlow wrote:

says...

Actually it does fine with latex if you thin it and use some floetrol. The catch though is that you need a bigger tip and that's hard to get from HF.
A good source for cheap spray equipment (they have "good" too by the way) is <http://www.eastwood.com/ . At one time their cheap guns were the same as the Harbor Freight--whether that is still the case I have no idea.
On 6/25/2015 9:44 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:

I have used them quite a bit. for 9 throw them away after a while.
I will recommend this gun over the $9. It's got a much finer spray. The nozzle is so much more refined as far as air holes go.
http://www.harborfreight.com/20-oz-HVLP-Gravity-Feed-Air-Spray-Gun-with-Regulator-69705.html
For $29.99 on sale or $24.99 on a coupon, it's a great buy. I still use the $9 gun, but for stuff I really care about, I pull out the more expensive conversion gun.
--
Jeff