inexpensive router for router table?

Currently I have a ryobi bt3k table saw that I have a plunge router mounted on (one of the saw leaves has a mount) to use as a router table.
This weekend I was working on some projects and got annoyed at having to continually switch between the two for different operations, so I think I want to build a router table specifically for routing.
While I am making a new table, it occurs to me that the lever on my router that locks the height of the cutter in place is awkward and engaging it might shift the cutter 1/64" or so, which is very annoying.
So if I am building a new table, now is probably the time to get a new fixed-based router for the table if I am going to get one.
Typically what I do with a router is very simple: rabbets, sliding dovetails, and corner rounding. Typically I work on fairly small projects (think jewelry boxes, etc).
What I think I need (I'm mostly learning on my own, so I could be wrong): Easy and accurate depth control by reaching under the table. I'd like to adjust it by a few thousandths. Inexpensive. I'd rather spend extra funds on wood for projects.
That's probably about it. I don't need super fast bit changes or massive power. My current router is 1.5HP, and I rarely drag the motor down at all.
Any thoughts on what to get (or not get) would be appreciated.

Hitachi M12VC, mine is great, and hard to beat for price/features
Ditto on the Hitachi. Bought the "bent wrench" sold by Sommerfeld (http://www.sommerfeldtools.com/products.asp?id 4) and like it. Also, bought Woodpecker's aluminum plate - a bit more expensive than Phenolic ones by much better.

Spend a reasonable amount on a router and woodworking for many years will be more pleasurable. You have an inexpensive router now, but you don't like it. Do you want another cheapie?
Buy DeWalt, Porter Cable, Bosch, Milwaukee and you will be happy. Consider a lift to adjust from the top for pure pleasure of use. Triton has a router that does that too.
When my big router went south I replaced it with a Triton. It has above the table bit change. And easy and accurate height adjustment. The plunge spring is removed or added in a few seconds if out of table usage is ever envisioned. No need to buy a lift. I would buy it again. Cheers, JG
wrote in message

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Ditto on the router lift.
I have a PC 690 in a Rouseeau lift.
That lift makes it soooooooo nice !
quixote wrote:

Hard to get more router for the money than the Hitatch M12V <URL<(Amazon.com product link shortened)55557983/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-0881977-5272759?ie=UTF8>

My money goes to Milwaukee. (Amazon.com product link shortened)55574826/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-3203675-4822433?ie=UTF8&s=hi
Viewed another way, at least some of our money stays in the US.
Except that Milwaukee is now owned by the people who bring you Ryobi tools....

damn damn damn damn!

I have to go with the Hitachi M12V also. I have two - one permanently mounted in router table. You'll love it!
Vic

I'll second -- no, third -- no, fourth . . . whatever . . . this opinion. My wife bought one for me a couple of birthdays ago and I LOVE mine. She shopped around and found what she thought was the best deal for a router for me; is she a keeper, or what??!!??
-Don (getting GOOD presents from my sweetie!)
--
"What do *you* care what other people think?" --Arline Feynman

On 13 Aug 2006 22:17:43 -0700, "quixote"

I like the Porter Cable 69x series- but the real thing here is a "what not to get". My wife bought me my first router, and as she is a thrify lady, she got me a "Duracraft" plunge router. It made the bits go around just fine- but the problem with the thing became apparent when it came time to change bits. Evidently, some clever designer decided that a Dremel-style button + one wrench collet system was adequate for a router, and as it turns out, it was not. It was nearly impossible to get the bits tight enough, but if that task was accomplished, then it was nearly impossible to remove them. Ended up being not just annoying, but actively dangerous when bits started to climb their way out of a spinning router.
It's well worth it to get one that uses two wrenches. Everything else is probably something you can make do without, but I'll never get a router with a button-type spindle lock again.

Dewalt 621 and my Hitachi M12V have push-button spindle locks and I've never had any trouble either tightening or removing bits with either of them. I can't imagine why I'd ever want a two-wrench system; a properly-designed spindle lock works just fine.
To reply by e-mail, use jcarlson631 at yahoo dot com
John
My PC 8529 has a spindle lock. It also takes two wrenches if you want. I use the wrenches. Reason being that there is no torque on the router when tightening or loosening a bit. Prevents the possibility of a slip sending the router skidding across the bench.

"John" wrote in message

Different strokes, or whatever you get used to ... I find two wrenches, held in one hand, much easier for the final tightening, and particularly for the initial unloosening.
AAMOF, the only thing I don't like about the Bosch Colt is the damn spindle lock and one nut. All my other routers that have spindle locks can still be used with two wrenches.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/13/06