inexpensive and workable hardwood

Page 2 of 3
Members of the Populus genus are, of course poplars, regardless of common names.
http://www2.fpl.fs.fed.us/TechSheets/HardwoodNA/htmlDocs/populussp.html

or

Oh, yeah. A year or so ago someone else tried to educate me on that point. Keep pounding away, you'll eventually get it through my skull.
Thanks.
--

FF

As it has been around since 1503, I don't think longevity would be a problem.
news:xP4Gc.10328> > The Mona Lisa was painted on poplar.

snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net says...

I've also used alder (softer) and birch (harder). Depends on what's cheap in your area.
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

I like rock (or sometimes called hard) maple for these types of projects. The cost is generally half again that for poplar but it usually doesn't phase me when I am spending it on myself ...
Bob wrote:

It depends on your local market for hardwoods.
I cn get "brown maple" which is maple with less desirable brown heartwood streaks in it for something just about the same price as poplar ($1.60/bf from my supplier)
Having recently completed a couple painted pieces in poplar, I would not do it again. For the same price, I would rather have have the hardness of maple.
See what your local supplier has. Prices are very regional.
-Steve

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

Poplar
--
MikeG
Heirloom Woods

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Bob) wrote in message

Hello, Soft or silver maple is what I would suggest for durability and paintablity. It's also inexpensive. $1.80 per bf (nice wide boards) plus shipping (normally about a buck a ft.) from us if you can't get it locally. www.hartzellwoodstock.bigstep.com
Troll
also posts to shooting groups.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Jana) wrote in message

Hello, Yes, everyone, I realize some would concider this spam. Bob asked for the info and I was only trying to be helpful. I frequently check out what's going on here to learn tips from the knowledge of others. Concidering I not only sell lumber and flooring but I personally also finish furniture, by hand, for a living. Sorry if I've offended anyone but I think I've earned the priveledge of a post here and there. Trust me, I've done my time. Anyone who has ordered from us or even so much as emailed me with questions would say the same.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Jana) wrote in message

Incorrectly IMHO, unless you widely crossposted or reposted it as spam requires a bulk characteristic.
The article in question plainly falls in the category of a commercial advertisement posted to a recreation newsgroup. On Usenet this predates spam by a decade or so. E.g. it has been despised longer than spam...
Some newsgroup charters permit comercial articles, others forbid them, most newsgroup charters have long-been ignored since most sys-admins long ago lost the authority to terminate users for charter violations.
For that matter, few sysadmins are allowed to terminate users for spam, hacking, identity theft, fraud, DDOS attacks or any outright criminal activity. A typical internet miscreant these days is hosted by an American Telecom where customer terminations have to be approved by the sales department.
Ah for the good old days when sysadmins ruled the internet.
--

FF

Fred the Red Shirt wrote:

I don't recall seeing a SPAM post hosted by any company called "American Telecom". Most of it seems to be hosted by overseas companies or submitted via anonymous remailer. See for example the current round of Simpsons crap that is hosted by MCI Canada.
In point of fact the only time I can recall having any trouble getting a user terminated for egregious misbehavior was when he was hosted by Altopia. Finally ended up just killfiling the whole domain.
--
--John
the first such reply I had ever received, all of the rest had been automated replies (e.g. auto-lies). Abuse.Sprint told me that they had dealt with my complaint by passing it on to the spammer. Evidently the abuse department at Sprint was still not authorized to teminate Whitcon, one of the internets most notorious spammers.

FF

Fred the Red Shirt wrote:

I am simply _dying_ to know your reasoning on that one.
--
--John
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.invalid says...

I'm simply _dying_ to know why you quoted over 100 lines just to give a 1 line response :-).
Try a little editing next time. If you don't know how, ask a teenager :-).
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

You can check out the headers of your article here:
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm igsq0gmq40news1.newsguy.com&output=gplain
and then simply do a dns lookup on the domain name in your email address.
--

FF

Jana: Your suggestion of soft maple as an alternative to poplar was not only good advice (some boards of lesser quality are sold as "paint grade"), but the ever so slight touting of your business was in good taste as well, and to this observer, not offensive at all. You were also very nice in your response, I'd have told them to go pound salt up their arse.......
I'm now off to check out your site.
Mutt

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Mutt) wrote in message

It falls into the category of a 'stealth' or 'drive-by ad'. As you note, the article was a valid otpical contribution to the discussion, with the commercial content slipped in at the end.
I didn't mind it either.
But, and it's big but, the issue is not whether or not I like the article, it is whether or not that sort of thing is permitted by the rec.woodworking charter.
Imagine if every one who sold woodworking related products contributed to every thread so as to slip in an ad. Suppose every thread about any tool carried by Sears would receive a polite, on-topic, contribution from the tool department manager of every Sears in North America. Ditto for wood finishes. Now suppose someone from every Home Depot and Lowes did the same.
That is why most newsgroup charters strictly forbid commercial postings. A common exception, for obvous reasons, is for sale or wanted to buy/trade ads posted by regular contributers to the groups, who plainly did not just post the ad and dissappear.
The quality of the articles is not the issue. It's the potential volume.
--

FF

I am unaware of a formal "charter" as non-moderated group, any such charter would simply be edict by a self-appointed contributor.
That said, precedent shows that the occasional commercial post by conscientious contributors are considered acceptable.
Steve Knight come to mind.
I would argue that this does not even reach that standard as the commercial post in question was *solicited*.
Simplified:
OP: I need a solution to a problem Responder: Here is a valid solution, BTW I sell it. (Quality information provided, with full disclosure)
There is *nothing* even slightly unethical, or inappropriate about that. If I were the OP, I would appreciate that response.
-Steve