Incra finally arrived - and an appeal.

Page 1 of 2
A long wait for shipping. Arrived today - thanks, Roger at WoodWorkersWorkshop.
------------
ls-25 with wonderfence
All golden shiny-shiny, half in its box like a 3 foot golden shiny thing.
Daughter arrived home from school singing "Happy Jig-day to you" and demanded to know when she can start making boxes.
When I've blown out the candles on my Jig-day cake, perhaps?
Watching da video now..
------------
Would anyone (please) be interested in mailing me a 22mm offset (cranked) wrench in a padded bag, cheap mail?
I'd be happy to paypal the price pre-purchase if anyone would be kind enough to help out,
Rockler and Woodpecker seem to do 'em for around $20. USD, but want about 80-90 more to post it to England, which is simply insane. I'm sure it doesn't need fancy packaging, insurance and a personal courier. Padded bag, small packet rate air should _surely_ be less than the cost of the item itself????
Otherwise sailing along in a big, slow boat would be perfectly acceptable.
If anyone follows this up. I'll post contact details etc.
Grateful thanks to anyone willing to do that Samaritan thing.
:-)
Add pictures here
✖
Bored Borg wrote:

I'd do it, but I'm up in Canada. Just as a data point, Canada Post says that it should be possible to ship it air for somewhat less than the cost of the item (as long as the packaging is small), and ground is about half as much.
Chris
Add pictures here
✖

Surely you can get one within the UK from somewhere?
What's so special about it? What's it look like?
--
Stuart Winsor

✖
Bored Borg wrote:

A 22 mm wrench? Send me a picture (or an link to a photo) of what you're after and I'll see how quickly I can get one on the way.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

<snippety-doo-dah>

OK, that's extremely decent of you. Thank you very much (and to the others in the thread, too - much appreciated)
Here's the kind of thing - it's basically for changing router bits from above the router table without all the cussing and weeping that this normally entails.
http://www.woodpeck.com/offsetwrenches.html

BUT seem to be permanently out of stock...
Apparently this is imported by Rutlands (U.K.) but they source from the above, so also permanently out of stock and they retail it at around 40 USD, which is not particularly cheap either.
There doesn't seem to be anything available over here. There are cranked ring spanners and there are open ended podgers, for example, but they are very thick ships-boiler type things.
THIS, listed at 21.03 mm is, I think, OK - it's marked as suitable for "Fein." The Fein 1800 is ANAD identical to my Trend T9s.
Hit/Fein/Triton3-1/4 Wrench/21.03mm 3/4" Item Number: WR002 Unit Price: $14.90 In Stock
http://www.sommerfeldtools.com/prodinfo.asp?number=WR002
(I'm sure a quick wipe up a grinder will sort it if it's too tight)
You may have better options available locally. I don't know - I'm geographically challenged. :-)
Either way, we're talking about ounces rather than pounds, and I don't see an international order requiring much more "handling" or other "service" to justify around 2000% increase over the domestic shipping rate. It seems more a statement of "Yeah, we'll ship international but we really can't be arsed so instead of looking at what this might actually cost, we'll quote you a stupid minimum price so you don't put us to the trouble." :-p
Your help is much appreciated. Thanks again.
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 7 Nov 2008 09:19:39 +0000, Bored Borg

In my experience, wrenches for routers are often fairly thin to fit the shaft space between the carbide and the bottom of the router. To make sure you get a wrench that will work for you, I'd measure the maximum thickness the wrench can be as well as giving the 22mm gap.
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 7 Nov 2008 10:30:44 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@no.com wrote

Yeah - that's why I didn't go for a "podger" spanner, which is the only open-ended cranked wrench I've been able to find over here.
I was contemplating bending a "plumber's spanner" which is a thin sheet steel thing designed to handle compression joints, but that'd be as much hassle and still a compromise.
The one's I'm after are designed (!!) for the job, so I'm fairly confident It'll be fine, The T9 has a base plate opening you could stick your head in and look around in while wearing a sombrero, so no worries about side clearance
Add pictures here
✖
Bored Borg wrote:

It's on order. Now I'd appreciate if you'd send your snail mail address so I can re-mail when it arrives. (Reply to sender works - and my e-mail address is splattered all over my web site.)
Sommerfield Tools is also in Iowa, so this shouldn't take too long.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Grateful thanks.
You are an angel. May you be blessed with many sons and healthy camels.
I've e-mailed you from my secret identity, (Ivan Bradley) Oops...
I've just realized I hadn't configured mail on this news client, so sent from other machine two feet away, so if I've dyslexixed your address (it's 3 am and the head bones connected to the brain bone... with cheese) and nothing arrives, yell loudly.
Anyway, snail tags are in the mail.
Again, my gratitude.
More grovelling formal closure and salutations (sorry, it's a British thing . :-) )
Add pictures here
✖
Bored Borg wrote:

Thanks - but two sons were sufficient, and camels are best in a stew over rice. I'm already blessed with about as much as I can stand.

Got it! My ISP's spam filter gave you a record _six_ stars - must be the accent.

Absolutely unnecessary. We're not much on formality here - but you'll be held in low regard if you're in town and don't stop to visit. ;-)
This afternoon I got a confirming e-mail from Marc Summerfield saying that your order is on its way. I already have the Customs Declaration and mailing label ready, and I'll give you a heads-up when I send it on.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Bored Borg wrote:

Not a particularly good bloke - just an ordinary bloke who was sure that if the situation were reversed, you'd have done the same for him.
Never a foreigner among friends, not /remarkably/ strange :) , and without much cause for distress.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Morris is ome of the good guys.
I just have to say that it is a pleasure to read such colorful prose from someone across the pond.
Add pictures here
✖

All of us in the UK can use colourful prose when prompted...
Ahh....................not *that* sort of colourful language :-)
I'll get my coat.
--
Stuart Winsor

Don't miss the Risc OS Christmas show
✖

Yup.. expressions like gnat's scrote are a hoot. The language uttered, when one dusts one's knuckles in my shop, is usually: "Oh golly. I must be more careful next time." Or: "Darn, those countertops sure are ruthless when trying to lob one's toes off." Or: "My goodness, that 3M hot-melt sure stays warm whilst it is still a liquid, eh boss?" Or: "That door...in my face, was not polite." Or: "Did you see that inexperienced driver...switching lanes without using her turn-signals like that?"
Add pictures here
✖
"Robatoy" wrote

Reminds me of a favorite from my farrier days, upon being asked if it was hot when picking up a somewhat cooled down horseshoe, not long out of the forge, barehanded ...
"Nope, just didn't take long to look at it!"
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

LOL..or: "Heavy?" (best said when one drops it because it's hot.)
Add pictures here
✖
In article

Trouble his, people can probably detect the smell of roast pork!
--
Stuart Winsor

Don't miss the Risc OS Christmas show
✖
Bored Borg wrote:

Not at all. There wasn't any heavy lifting involved; and it's always a pleasure to visit with the DeSoto Postmistress. :)

The beads have been duly received but the patronizing message from the GWQ appears to have been intercepted by our Department of Homeland Security. The redcoat has been issued jump boots and a faded salad suit, and has already moved on to where his courage and skills are more direly needed. He seems a good lad - please see that he is treated well when he returns home.

Hmm - I thought I was the only one who did that dance. Perhaps I should follow suit with a new wrench for my PC knuckle-buster...

:)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar