In you have been waiting to pull the trigger on Festool

Festool has new fall 2009 pricing and the prickes on many items have dropped quite a bit, up to 25%

Leon

block...? Even for Festool, that's a stretch.

RicodJour

Leon, I wanted to ask you. Recent advertising for the Domino advertises a 'Plus' version and some new attachments. Have you looked at these new differences between your Domino and the new version?

Reply to
upscale

IIRC the Plus that you are referering to is the Domino FD500 Q "Set". The set is the Domino FD500 Q "plus" the "cross stop" and the "trim stop".

Yes, I bought the domino FD 500 Q Set with those accessories. And yes IMHO they are worth having. The trim stop aids in cutting mortises in the ends of thin stock, too narrow to index against the indexing pins. The cross stop lets you accurately index farther away from the corner edge of the wood and or make mortises with indexed spacing farther apart than the indexing pins on the Domino allow.

The original Domino and the cross stop accessory use a spring loaded retracting steel dowel for indexing against the edge of the wood or inside a previousely drilled mortise. The current version of the Domino seems to have a revamped indexng system that replaced the retracting dowel with what appears to be a spring loaded retractable lever. The cross stop appears to continue to use the spring loaded retractable steel dowel.

Reply to
Leon

Reply to
Robatoy

It is not a sanding bloc. It is an adaptable ergonomic extension of one's hand. YOU make one for 25 bucks. (And have it work as well.)

I am seriously at a point where I am going to toss all the damned tools I own, heavy iron (not CNC) included and go to their track-saw system. It makes too much sense. Who needs a CMS when you can do everything with that table/track combo. . . . . . . but I'll be damned if I am going to pay $ 400+ for a frickin drill. IT'S A DRILL FFS!!!!

Reply to
Robatoy

Chunk of twobyfour, milled S4S to approx 4"Lx3"Wx1.25"D; laminate 3/16" cork to one face. Choose dimensions to be an integral multiple of a standard sheet of sandpaper when long end of sandpaper wraps over top 1" of block.

Attach sandpaper with two small strips of duct tape.

Total cost less than USD1.00.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

But shape that 2x4 into the same shape as the Festool block or one that will fit your hand the same way and you waste at least $25 of your time & buold the box to put it in. LOL... Me, I simply don't have the need for a sanding block that often. Althought I found a great use for those sanding sponges.

Reply to
Leon

Yeah.. hummmmmmmm and the Domino is reduced quite a bit also. Although it may be the first design.

Reply to
Leon

If you figure that the Milwaukee 5625 is around 300 dollars...that 80 buck difference is quickly found in MY pocket. *S* I know somebody who has that 2000 watt Festool router...and I have handled it, used it a bit...and I tell you...smooooooth and gobs of power...GOBS I tell ya! GOBS!

Reply to
Robatoy

ork to one face. Choose

I spent $ 25.00 reading your suggestion. To try to buy a small piece of 3/16 cork will cost me $25.00 in time and materials Milling the stock will take $ 25.00 of my time. In the time it takes to do all that, I can mount an acrylic vanity sink and put $ 150.00 in my pocket.

If your time is free, you don't need a lot of tools. A brace & bit is even cordless.

Reply to
Robatoy

cork to one face. Choose

And my hand is not your hand - mine are talented. :)~ If I were to make a sanding block for my own, I have gobs, I tell you gobs, of material laying about that would work, and the block would fit my hand exactly, not Heinrich Festool's.

When you compare apples to apples you should realize there are different apples. Let me ask you this, mon ferret - with all of your skills, do you customize your tools to fit you and the way you work? Or are you a "that's the way they designed it, and that's the way it stays" type of guy?

RicodJour

6" cork to one face. Choose

A block doesn't have that spongy feeling. But hey, whatever blows up your skirt.

Reply to
Robatoy

I was thinking about that the other day. There are a few things that the table saw can do that the track saw can't.

Running a dado blade was the first thing I thought of. Second was the fact that many times when I cut something, I like to cut it oversize and then sneak up on the final cut. That process has a significant visual aspect to it and I suspect that would be pretty difficult with the track saw. Then there's the need for cutting thinker pieces of stock. I don't remember exactly the maximum cutting capability of the track saw, but it's certainly much less than say a 10" blade in a table saw.

I understand your angst, but I do believe there's a number of things the table saw is capable of doing that the track saw would fail miserably at. I think it's closer to being a niche market tool, although most certainly a very capable one.

Reply to
upscale

And total time needed to make one? You need to factor in everything when you're calculating your numbers. But, I have to agree, it's an expensive version of a simple sanding block would be sufficient in 99% of most cases.

Reply to
upscale

Looked to me to be about a 10% reduction. Not sure it would be worth it if it was the first design. If someone's got the money to throw at Festool, then I'd think they're not concerned much with a 10% cost difference.

Reply to
upscale

I pinged you with a link to Festool links. There are literally hundreds of reviews and videos of Festool products sorted by type of work. There is bound to be an answer to all of your questions about any Festool.

I am happy however to answer any of your questions that I can.

Reply to
Leon

The 75 model will cut thick stock...as thick as I will ever use, The dado is handled by the OF2000 router, using the same track. But... I know what you're saying. The tracksaw is not a panacea.

Reply to
Robatoy

Perhaps. Or maybe you'd learn to stop sneaking around and just cut the damn thing once. ;)

The Festool TS75 has a 8.25" blade and a cut depth of 2.75" while on the track. A 10" Delta TS has a 3.25" depth of cut. That can be a significant difference, but I don't know if it qualifies for "much less".

Yes, it's a niche tool - and the niche is woodworking.

RicodJour