In the market for a miter saw

I am shopping for a new miter saw ( or chop saw). I was toying with the idea of the Porter Cable 3700 with dual lasers but it only comes in a 10in blade. Anyone really impressed with theirs or happy. Or anyone really unhappy so I know what to avoid. I would love a sliding compound but for the extra $150 I don't think I will have to cut too many really wide boards to warrent that cost. Thanks for the help...

Reply to
Brian

You don't say what type of projects that you expect to make but I can't imagine that the lasers would have much use with precision work. I would rather have a 12" saw than a 10" with laser.

Reply to
Frank Drackman

Good call. I'd rather have the 12" w/o laser and have the capacity and flexibility that outweigh the accuracy/benefit of the laser. I've been using the Dewalt 12 CMS for a few years and love it. Sharp blade, well tuned and cared for, still gives good results. Precision is a subjective term, and IMHO, results are good enough for me using my Dewalt. You just need to decide what works best for you.

Reply to
Nicky

Reply to
Anonymous

I know this is bordering on sacrilege but I don't know the model number of my 10" PC chopsaw. It does have two lasers, so it is probably the same one.

I had to tweak the fences and adjust the lasers out of the box but it works fine. I picked this saw for three reasons.

  1. The big price difference between it and the sliding compound ones
  2. I can interchange the blades with my TS
  3. 12 inch blades are expen$ive

The only problem I have had is the switch for the laser needs a little wiggle once in a while to get it working. Maybe I'll write PC a nastygram...

Reply to
RayV

JMO, but the laser is worthless. I am using a Rigid 12" machine right now and am pretty happy with it.

Reply to
Joe

I have one and love it. The lasers are a great aid. I am in the process of replacing the blade with a Forrest, which should improve the cut of the blade that came with it.

Reply to
Tom O'Connor

Thanks everyone for the help...I went to Sear's today and saw a Craftsman 12 inch miter saw that looked pretty good. I might go with that one when a good sale comes like Fathers Day... anyone have a bad experience with Craftsman?

Reply to
Brian

Just curious, how often have you done that? My blade (12") is still the original. Had it sharpened once about 2 years ago and put it back and have no intention of putting in a different one.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The Porter-Cable 3802L is made in the U.S.A. - I believe that all Craftsman power tools are now made in China.

Woody

Brian wrote:

Reply to
Anonymous

Got one, love it. Simple and easy answer.

Reply to
Tim Taylor

I agree with previous post concerning lazer on saw, not much good for precision work, but if your a framer, go for it. I did some carving work for a furniture company, the guy's in the shop had a variety of miter saws at thier work stations, Delta, Craftsman, Porter Cable, Makita, Bosch, and Dewalt. I found that for precision, and capacity the Makita Dual Slide 12" was my favorite, but the most precise saw of the bunch was the Bosch 10" Dual Sliding Compound. I liked it so much I went and bought one for my shop.

What I like abut it are:

All the controls are right up front, no reaching around behind the saw to adjust anything.

The detent stops are right on.

The blade tips both left and right. (some don't)

I require exceptional accuracy, and the Bosch is the best I've seen so far.

What I don't like:

$685 bucks OUCH.

The blade stop is difficult to engage for blade changes.

The depth stop is kind of cheezy and difficult to set accuratly.

By the way, I have a friend that owns a tool repair shop, and is the autorized service center for all the above brands. He says he's never had a Bosch in his shop.

Reply to
hard_way

Fairly often, I only have one 'good' blade. A 60T Frued I bought it when I installed my kitchen so it goes back & forth when needed. It usually stays in the MS, but I do put it in the TS when I need a clean cut. The TS usually has a 40T Craftsman combination blade in it.

I was amazed at the difference in how well my TS cut once I put the Frued in it. The 60T Frued ripped through a 60" long piece of 3/4 maple easier than the 40T combination blade rips 3/4 pine. Right tools, right result.

Hav recommendation as to what kind of blade I should normally have in my TS?

Reply to
RayV

Brian wrote: ... anyone have a bad experience with Craftsman?

Heh.

-Phil Crow

Reply to
phildcrowNOSPAM
99.9% of all tools are now made in China.

Reply to
Tom
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

to provide a source for that statistic?

Reply to
RayV

Every time you go into a store check out the tools, you'll see an overwhelming amount are made in China.

What really pissed me off is when I went to Menards to buy an American flag to display on my house and when I picked it up it said on the package made in China. That took the cake, and I told the store manager what I thought of Old Glory being made by a communist country. I viewed the item as an insult to us all. No, I did not buy the flag. I bought one from the Disabled American Veterans Post instead.

Reply to
Tom

99.9% of statistics are made up on the spot.
Reply to
B A R R Y

That doesn't agree with the statistic I just made up!

PDX David :-)

Reply to
Jane & David

For a long time I used a Freud Diablo 80T. It is not designed for ripping, but it worked and made a smooth cut. I still have it (been sharpened) and will use it for plywood if I have more than a cut or two.

Now I have a Ridge Carbide 40T combination and it is excellent. If I was buying a new blade today, I'd go for the Ridge Carbide, Infinity Tools, or a Forrest WWII. Right now, Infinity has a price advantage. Check out their web sites for more information. One good combination blade will do 85% to

98% of what most of us use a table saw for.
Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski