In the market for a miter saw

Page 1 of 2

I am shopping for a new miter saw ( or chop saw). I was toying with the idea of the Porter Cable 3700 with dual lasers but it only comes in a 10in blade. Anyone really impressed with theirs or happy. Or anyone really unhappy so I know what to avoid. I would love a sliding compound but for the extra $150 I don't think I will have to cut too many really wide boards to warrent that cost. Thanks for the help...

You don't say what type of projects that you expect to make but I can't imagine that the lasers would have much use with precision work. I would rather have a 12" saw than a 10" with laser.
Good call. I'd rather have the 12" w/o laser and have the capacity and flexibility that outweigh the accuracy/benefit of the laser. I've been using the Dewalt 12 CMS for a few years and love it. Sharp blade, well tuned and cared for, still gives good results. Precision is a subjective term, and IMHO, results are good enough for me using my Dewalt. You just need to decide what works best for you.
On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 09:20:36 -0700, "Frank Drackman"

JMO, but the laser is worthless. I am using a Rigid 12" machine right now and am pretty happy with it.

You would be better off using a zero clearance insert and using the kerf slot to align your marks.
Have you seen this Porter-Cable 12" Miter Saw with Laser guides.... (Amazon.com product link shortened)
Brian wrote:

I know this is bordering on sacrilege but I don't know the model number of my 10" PC chopsaw. It does have two lasers, so it is probably the same one.
I had to tweak the fences and adjust the lasers out of the box but it works fine. I picked this saw for three reasons.
1. The big price difference between it and the sliding compound ones 2. I can interchange the blades with my TS 3. 12 inch blades are expen$ive
The only problem I have had is the switch for the laser needs a little wiggle once in a while to get it working. Maybe I'll write PC a nastygram...

Just curious, how often have you done that? My blade (12") is still the original. Had it sharpened once about 2 years ago and put it back and have no intention of putting in a different one.
Fairly often, I only have one 'good' blade. A 60T Frued I bought it when I installed my kitchen so it goes back & forth when needed. It usually stays in the MS, but I do put it in the TS when I need a clean cut. The TS usually has a 40T Craftsman combination blade in it.
I was amazed at the difference in how well my TS cut once I put the Frued in it. The 60T Frued ripped through a 60" long piece of 3/4 maple easier than the 40T combination blade rips 3/4 pine. Right tools, right result.
Hav recommendation as to what kind of blade I should normally have in my TS?

For a long time I used a Freud Diablo 80T. It is not designed for ripping, but it worked and made a smooth cut. I still have it (been sharpened) and will use it for plywood if I have more than a cut or two.
Now I have a Ridge Carbide 40T combination and it is excellent. If I was buying a new blade today, I'd go for the Ridge Carbide, Infinity Tools, or a Forrest WWII. Right now, Infinity has a price advantage. Check out their web sites for more information. One good combination blade will do 85% to 98% of what most of us use a table saw for.
I have one and love it. The lasers are a great aid. I am in the process of replacing the blade with a Forrest, which should improve the cut of the blade that came with it.
Thanks everyone for the help...I went to Sear's today and saw a Craftsman 12 inch miter saw that looked pretty good. I might go with that one when a good sale comes like Fathers Day... anyone have a bad experience with Craftsman?

The Porter-Cable 3802L is made in the U.S.A. - I believe that all Craftsman power tools are now made in China.
Woody
Brian wrote:

99.9% of all tools are now made in China.

42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.
http://zaadz.com/quotes/view/34554
Care to provide a source for that statistic?
Every time you go into a store check out the tools, you'll see an overwhelming amount are made in China.
What really pissed me off is when I went to Menards to buy an American flag to display on my house and when I picked it up it said on the package made in China. That took the cake, and I told the store manager what I thought of Old Glory being made by a communist country. I viewed the item as an insult to us all. No, I did not buy the flag. I bought one from the Disabled American Veterans Post instead.

Who probably had them made in China.

Gosh Tom, I remember seeing American Flags made in other countries in the early 60's.
On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 14:14:19 GMT, "Leon"

Right after 9/11, there was a huge flap when it was discovered that the majority of American flags that people were putting on their cars were made in China.