In search of a box joint

Bought a jig and it seems to work much better than my home-made one. Got out my old Craftsman dado set and cut a few quarter inch ones. Those saws were made BC (before carbide) are OK for regular dados but the cutter blades are not flat. The outer 1" is thinner than the body on each side. So a quarter inch dado in end grain is really a quarter inch with a thin strip of wood left in the center.
Hope triumphed over common sense and I bought a wobble dado blade. Sure enough it wobbles and the dados it makes look like little arched doorways. Not good for box joints.
I sent it back and bought a stacked dado set from HF. Set up the two cutters and ran a few test cuts. This time the cut looked like an "M" with a shallow top. I checked the blades and the carbide inserts were not all ground alike. Some had a flat top and some were canted. It appeared that the teeth were ground by an opium addict with a dremel tool and a diamond blade.
So plan D calls for a real set of dado blades I guess. Still learning at 72 that saving money is not cheap.
--
G.W. Ross

And I thought phrenology with a

They're expensive but they're what you want/need. http://www.ptreeusa.com/freud_dado_sets.htm
Dave wrote:

Thanks! Just what I wanted Just ordered it from Amazon ($10 cheaper).
--
G.W. Ross

And I thought phrenology with a
On 7/2/2012 5:00 AM, G. Ross wrote:

snip...
When it comes to simple box joints in reasonably thin material (<= 3/4") I've always found that a router table beats a table saw. Setup is faster and you don't have to fiddle with shims and spacers to achieve the proper slot width as you do with a dado blade.
John McGaw wrote:

Don't have room for my router table in the shop. It is in the un-heated, un-cooled portion of the shop. 104 degrees yesterday. I hate to use a router, anyway.
--
G.W. Ross

And I thought phrenology with a
On 7/2/2012 4:00 AM, G. Ross wrote:

As you found out, the ATB "set" (alternate top bevel) of many woodworking table saw blades is not conducive to finger joints, or dadao/groove where a flat bottom is required.
What you had yet to learn was how to buy a table saw blade for a particular job ... Dave now has you set up with the right tool for the job. :)
Which jig did you get?
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 7/2/2012 7:40 AM, Swingman wrote:

IIRC he got the iBox. I am breaking mine out soon after you leave this morning. ;~)

I feel better now, mines still in the box too. I took it out & played with it, then decided no playing until I get moved into the new addition and have everything put away. How have medicare so going tomorrow to get my leg fixed and hopefully be able to stand for more then 1/2 hr.
Mike M
On 7/2/2012 4:26 PM, Mike M wrote:

I had a job that I need to complete and deliver and vowed to not try the iBox out until I was finished. Hoping to do that today, yesterday got filled quickly.
Swingman wrote:

First I got the WoodSmith kit, made the jig and it works so-so. Then I bought the aluminum one (WoodSmith) and like it a lot. The ATB on the HF saw is more RTB (random top bevel). Some flat, some with the bevel on one side, none that I could see had a bevel on the other side.
--
G.W. Ross

He who laughs last, thinks slowest.
On 7/2/2012 8:30 AM, G. Ross wrote:

Ohhhhh sorry.
On 7/2/2012 2:00 AM, G. Ross wrote:

Yep...cheap is cheap...try the good stuff, and stay out of the bargain basement.
http://www.freudtools.com/p-316-box-joint-cutter-set.aspx
Pat Barber wrote:

It's on the way. Delivery date 5 July.
--
G.W. Ross

He who laughs last, thinks slowest.
Pat Barber wrote:

Got the blades 2 days ago, finished tuning the jig and am cutting perfect box joints for the first time in my life!
--
G.W. Ross

There is no time like the pleasant.

Try to remember that feeling of satisfaction you got the moment you fitted those box joints together and saw they were perfect.
It doesn't come often in life, but when it does, that moment is to be treasured.
On 7/7/2012 12:52 PM, Dave wrote:

Also expressed in thought as: "Dayum!,I'm good!"
;)
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Swingy, you're modest, humble, and PROUD of it, aintcha?
-- Truth loves to go naked. --Dr. Thomas Fuller, Gnomologia, 1732
On 7/7/2012 1:18 AM, G. Ross wrote:

Yup...it's that warm and fuzzy feeling all over again.
It just can't be beat to have clean, tight fitting joint.

Found a new toy for you. http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?pi814&catQ&ap=1
Enjoy!

I made some first attempts at box joints today. Dismal failure. While operator error was primary, the jig I was using wasn't friendly to the beginner.
I recalled this thread.
Just ordered an iBox and Freud Box Joint set.

I'm only 50, but trying to learn the same lesson. (In my case, that a cheap router table is, well, cheap. But it is okay for fence work.)
--
|Drew Lawson | If you're not part of the solution |
| | you're part of the precipitate. |