In search of a box joint

Bought a jig and it seems to work much better than my home-made one. Got out my old Craftsman dado set and cut a few quarter inch ones. Those saws were made BC (before carbide) are OK for regular dados but the cutter blades are not flat. The outer 1" is thinner than the body on each side. So a quarter inch dado in end grain is really a quarter inch with a thin strip of wood left in the center.

Hope triumphed over common sense and I bought a wobble dado blade. Sure enough it wobbles and the dados it makes look like little arched doorways. Not good for box joints.

I sent it back and bought a stacked dado set from HF. Set up the two cutters and ran a few test cuts. This time the cut looked like an "M" with a shallow top. I checked the blades and the carbide inserts were not all ground alike. Some had a flat top and some were canted. It appeared that the teeth were ground by an opium addict with a dremel tool and a diamond blade.

So plan D calls for a real set of dado blades I guess. Still learning at 72 that saving money is not cheap.

Reply to
G. Ross

They're expensive but they're what you want/need.

Dave

When it comes to simple box joints in reasonably thin material (

Reply to
John McGaw

Reply to
G. Ross

Reply to
G. Ross

As you found out, the ATB "set" (alternate top bevel) of many woodworking table saw blades is not conducive to finger joints, or dadao/groove where a flat bottom is required.

What you had yet to learn was how to buy a table saw blade for a particular job ... Dave now has you set up with the right tool for the job. :)

Which jig did you get?

Reply to
Swingman

IIRC he got the iBox. I am breaking mine out soon after you leave this morning. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

First I got the WoodSmith kit, made the jig and it works so-so. Then I bought the aluminum one (WoodSmith) and like it a lot. The ATB on the HF saw is more RTB (random top bevel). Some flat, some with the bevel on one side, none that I could see had a bevel on the other side.

Reply to
G. Ross

Reply to
Leon

I feel better now, mines still in the box too. I took it out & played with it, then decided no playing until I get moved into the new addition and have everything put away. How have medicare so going tomorrow to get my leg fixed and hopefully be able to stand for more then 1/2 hr.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

I had a job that I need to complete and deliver and vowed to not try the iBox out until I was finished. Hoping to do that today, yesterday got filled quickly.

Reply to
Leon

Yep...cheap is cheap...try the good stuff, and stay out of the bargain basement.

Pat Barber

It's on the way. Delivery date 5 July.

Reply to
G. Ross

perfect box joints for the first time in my life!

Reply to
G. Ross

On Sat, 07 Jul 2012 04:18:32 -0400, "G. Ross"

Try to remember that feeling of satisfaction you got the moment you fitted those box joints together and saw they were perfect.

It doesn't come often in life, but when it does, that moment is to be treasured.

Reply to
Dave

Also expressed in thought as: "Dayum!,I'm good!"

;)

Reply to
Swingman

Swingy, you're modest, humble, and PROUD of it, aintcha?

-- Truth loves to go naked. --Dr. Thomas Fuller, Gnomologia, 1732

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yup...it's that warm and fuzzy feeling all over again.

It just can't be beat to have clean, tight fitting joint.

Reply to
Pat Barber

On Sat, 07 Jul 2012 04:18:32 -0400, "G. Ross"

Found a new toy for you.

Dave

I made some first attempts at box joints today. Dismal failure. While operator error was primary, the jig I was using wasn't friendly to the beginner.

I recalled this thread.

Just ordered an iBox and Freud Box Joint set.

I'm only 50, but trying to learn the same lesson. (In my case, that a cheap router table is, well, cheap. But it is okay for fence work.)

Reply to
Drew Lawson