In search of....

Greetings from Ontario, Canada
I'm travelling to Daytona Beach, Florida in a couple of weeks and staying for about 2 1/2 weeks. I am in search of Woodturners to meet with and talk to in the area. I would also like to know if there are any mills or retail outlets for what we would call "exotic woods". You probably call them "local woods". Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated. My email address is snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com
Thanks in advance,
Christopher Lang

Where in Ontario?

Chipmunk Hardwoods in Edgewater; about 15 miles south of Daytona. I can't remember his website URL, but if you go to http://www.woodfinder.com and type in 32174 for a zip code, it'll be one of the sites returned and has a link to their site.
I don't know if they have local exotics (I think that may be an oxymoron), and I haven't been there yet, but they should be worth a look.
I can't answer on the woodturners part. I haven't met any yet.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
Goodwin Heart Pine Company - worth a stop in Gainesville, FL
www.heartpine.com

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 21:00:21 -0600, "bob"

Actually on the other side of Paine's Prairie from Gainesville, in Micanopy (between Gainesville and Ocala).
However the reason I asked where in Ontario he was from is because most people from about London and east, come down I-79/I-77/I-26/I-95 even to get to Ft. Meyers/Naples. Look at a map if you don't believe it.
Micanopy is nearly a 200 mile round trip from Daytona or anywhere along that route .
Now, from Windsor, it's right on the way (I-75).
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
Thanks for the heads-up. I live 2 hours north of Toronto (in Bracebridge) and if driving, will probably come through Buffalo/Erie. I believe it will cut about 300 miles off the trip. My friend and I haven't finalized travel method yet.
Regards,
Christopher Lang

Yeah, you have a couple of pesky lakes to get around. Makes air travel start to look attractive. DAB (Daytona) isn't an easy airport to find travel in and out of, although connections through ATL (Atlanta) are plentiful. Of course there's always MCO (Orlando), but that's still an hour+ drive from DAB and on the wrong side of Orlando. Sanford (don't know the identifier; used to be NRJ when it was a naval air station) is getting quite popular, and it's on the right side of Orlando and only a half hour or so away, but may not have much more access to YZ than DAB does..
Anyway, if you drive, wave at my inlaws as you go by Beamsville on the Queen E. SWMBO grew up on a small fruit farm that was where the interchange for Ontario Street is now.